Boy found child porn material on laptop

first_imgNewsLocal NewsBoy found child porn material on laptopBy admin – May 25, 2012 1454 A13-year-old boy found child rape movies on his laptop after he loaned it to a 45-year-old UK national in 2010, to use while his own was broken.  The revelation unfolded as Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Det Garda, Christine Bergin in the case against Simeon Betts, a man charged with the possession of 50 child pornographic movies and nine images on three laptops that were seized from his possession in 2010.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The material found was said to have been at the “utmost end of the scale” and of the “horrendous” exploitation of children where some as young as four years of age were raped by adults and animals.Betts, with an address at Henry Street, Limerick, pleaded guilty to the possession of the images and movie files, having first denied the allegation in a lengthy interview conducted by gardai at a house in Hollymount, Raheen in March 2010. Det Gda Bergin and other members of the force raided the home of the accused under search warrant after receiving certain information from Interpol and the UK based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP). Analysis of the material found on the computers was carried out by specialist agencies where Det Garda Bergin enlisted the help of up to six different investigation units including Interpol and CEOP. Betts was charged in July 2010 and made admissions at the time of charge.At his sentencing hearing on the final day of term of Limerick Circuit Court, Simeon Betts said nothing as he sat in the dock as evidence and detailed descriptions of the search terms, files and images were given to the court. Acting on the information received by Interpol, the gardai obtained a search warrant and went to the home of the accused on March 4, 2010. Betts’ place of work, his cars, a campervan and another address in county Limerick that he had access to, were searched and a number of items were seized for analysis. The material found was linked to three laptops seized – one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the garage attached to the home. Betts admitted, in interview, to knowingly having the material in his possession,All three had been used to view and access the content which was described in court and one computer was actively used to search the internet for child pornography where Betts would masturbate to movies and images “as a means to satisfy his desire” according to Defence Counsel, Mark Nicholas who added in mitigation that this must have been a “horrible situation to be in but he {Betts} made admissions and takes full responsibility for his actions. He’s in deep distress and wants to engage help”.Betts, the court heard was later arrested in July 2010 and during the course of four interviews held, he made full admissions as to his interest in such material. During one such interview, the accused man admitted to being sexually aroused while viewing the material online. He also admitted to borrowing a laptop from a 13-year-old boy and used it to search for child pornography. The laptop had been returned to the boy some time later and the child pornographic material with movies of children as young as four years of age being raped, was returned to the boy. The files had not been deleted. The court heard from Det Gda Bergin that the teenager informed both gardai and his mother as to the content of the material found. Since the charges were brought against the accused, Betts is now unemployed but had previously worked in a card and birthdays shop, a gift store in the city centre as well as the Early Learning Centre. The father of four, who admitted to having “felt bad knowing that a child suffered while he watched the movies, is now said to have very restricted access to his children and had tried to “suppress” his desires to seek out the material.Betts, with previous convictions for minor road traffic offences and who is on bail with a daily sign on requirement, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Judge Carroll Moran was handed a report conducted by clinical psychologist Dr Patrick Ryan who said that Betts had an insight into his problem but was “not out of the woods yet”. The Judge adjourned sentencing until June 8 stating that it was a “difficult case” that needs his full consideration in sentencing. Advertisement Twitter Email WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Print Previous articleLimerick Footballers can improveNext articleThe Bad Plus on original ground admin Facebooklast_img read more

Officials discuss future of California

first_imgStudents, faculty and government officials gathered to discuss the future of California Wednesday morning at Town and Gown. “Economic and Political Challenges Facing California,” hosted by the Sol Price School of Public Policy, was part of Dean Jack H. Knott’s first Policy Breakfast Series.The event featured California State Treasurer John Chiang and was moderated by Rodney Ramcharan, an associate professor of public policy and the director of research at the USC Lusk Center for Real Estate. The Price School’s Athenian Society, a philanthropic organization, organized the event. “The impetus for this discussion is to convene civic and business leaders to share their in-depth expertise on critical policy topics and highly debated issues facing our communities,” Knott said. “Our aim is to inspire constructive dialogue and foster a community of engaged and informed citizens.”After Knott outlined some of the issues California currently faces, including economic inequality and other fiscal challenges, Ramcharan began the dialogue by asking about Chiang’s economic background and the duties that ensue as the overseer of California’s investments and finances. Chiang explained that he is the state banker who is responsible for California’s daily investments. “On a daily basis, we are investing about $80 billion in short-term cash, and our principal statutory charges is to make sure we don’t lose capital,” Chiang said.Chiang stated that as the child of immigrant parents, he has experienced discrimination from an early age, which inspired him to work in public service. He established himself as a liberal with strong values that focused on the themes of love and support, which propelled him make a difference in improving lives. “Equal rights are important, and what’s bad about liking and valuing each other? I get to to make laws that try to help people,” Chiang said.Ramcharan asked Chiang about climate change and the impact it has on California and its funding. As an agricultural state that commonly experiences droughts, California, Chiang explained, should expect regulatory and legislative changes that would allow the state to more efficiently use its water. Chiang also said that the state needs to consider pricing mechanisms and market intervention in order to fix the issues it faces.Ramcharan also inquired about DebtWatch, an award-winning website Chiang created in 2015 that enables the public to view three decades of debt-related information issued by state and local governments. “I put up the history of $1.5 trillion worth of borrowing by all levels of government in the last 30 years in the state of California,” Chiang said.Chiang stressed the importance of transparency in the current economic and political situation, stating that governments need to be held responsible for their policies and actions. “People need to know how much is being borrowed, how much is being used properly and what is being paid back on time, because there are implications for our sustainable financing,” Chiang said.last_img read more

Dodgers sign Mookie Betts to 12-year, $365 million extension

first_img How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Mookie Betts and the Dodgers have finalized a contract extension that will keep the talented outfielder in Los Angeles through 2032. The contract pays $365 million – an average of $30.4 million over 12 years – including deferrals. Progress toward the extension was first reported Wednesday morning by Boston radio station WEEI.Due to become a free agent this winter, now Betts can’t become a free agent before his 40th birthday.Betts still hasn’t played a regular-season game since he was traded by the Red Sox for Alex Verdugo and prospects Jeter Downs and Connor Wong in February. The novel coronavirus pandemic postponed spring training in March. Baseball’s new Opening Day is Thursday.Angels outfielder Mike Trout signed a 10-year, $360 million extension with the Angels last year. He cannot be traded without his permission. Trout was 27 at the time the deal was signed. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start center_img Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Betts, who turns 28 in October, might be second only to Trout among the best players in the game. In 2019, he batted .295 with 29 home runs and 80 RBIs for the Red Sox. That was considered a “down year” in comparison to his MVP campaign of 2018: a .346 average, 32 home runs, 80 RBIs and a career-high 30 stolen bases.In Los Angeles, Betts is poised to join the reigning National League MVP, Cody Bellinger, to form an incomparable outfield duo. Bellinger has been deployed in center field and Betts in right field in exhibition games this year.Betts becomes the sixth baseball player to sign a contract in excess of $300 million. Trout, Gerrit Cole, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and Giancarlo Stanton are the others.Related Articles Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season last_img read more