RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan Follow the news on Azerbaijan AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Receive email alerts RSF_en Organisation News to go further News Read the joint statement released today by the International Partnership Group for Azerbaijan (IPGA)Reporters Without Borders firmly condemns a despicable week-old smear campaign against Khadija Ismayilova, a journalist who works as the correspondent of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty’s local service and as regional coordinator of the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).“Ismayilova is one of most brilliant and courageous independent journalists currently working in Azerbaijan,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This is not the first time she has been the target of threats designed to silence her. This campaign to humiliate her publicly has received extensive support from the pro-government press. It recalls the methods employed a few years ago to discredit the investigative work of other independent journalists. Such actions are quite revolting and must stop at once.”On 8 March, Ismayilova received a letter posted in Moscow containing six photos of her engaged in sexual relations. They were accompanied by a warning that she would be “extremely embarrassed” if she did not abandon her work.Ismayilova responded by publishing an open letter, which has circulated widely online, in which she said she had been expecting such threats and was ready to assume the consequences. At the end of the letter, she added links to the main reports she has written, several of which concern President Ilham Aliyev’s family.Today, a video of a similar nature to the photos was posted online on a fake mirror site of the opposition website Musavat.com. Both the leaders of the opposition party Musavat and the editors of the newspaper Musavat had denied any link with the mirror website. The fact that those behind this smear campaign were able to film the video shows that they have exceptional resources and are ready to stop at nothing.Similar methods were used in 2005 against Ganimat Zahid, the editor of the opposition newspaper Azadlig, and one of his colleague, Azer Ahmedov. Five years later, Ahmedov and two of his Azadlig colleagues, Gan Turali and Natig Gulah Medoghu, were targeted.Ismayilova has received many prizes for her investigative reporting, especially her coverage of corruption. According to a US embassy cable leaked by WikiLeaks, President Aliyev complained about Ismayilova at a meeting with Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew Bryza on 19 January 2009. He described her as a “long-time opposition activist who considers herself to be an enemy of the government” and said he was hoping for a “change of direction” in RFE/RL’s coverage of Azerbaijan.Reporters Without Borders encourages everyone to sign a petition supporting Ismayilova.The Azerbaijani government is meanwhile tried to hide the continuing serious press freedom violations in the run-up to the May 2012 Eurovision Song Contest, which Baku is hosting. Azerbaijan was ranked 162nd out of 179 countries in the 2011/2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. June 8, 2021 Find out more News Related documents IPGA statement – 15.03.2012PDF – 330.9 KB June 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information March 15, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Despicable” campaign to smear woman investigative reporter Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh News AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia April 9, 2021 Find out more
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation(MEMPHIS, Tenn.) — A 10-month-old girl was found safe Saturday morning after she was left in a car believed to have been stolen in Memphis Friday night, authorities said Saturday morning.A statewide Amber Alert had been issued for Zoe Jordan after she was left in a running and unattended Honda Civic Friday, the Memphis Police Department said. Police said a suspect fled with her inside.Zoe has since been found safe in that car in Memphis after a citizen spotted the Honda Civic and called in a tip, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said Saturday.Memphis Police tweeted a photo of Zoe safe in the arms of an officer.“This is why the AMBER Alert program is so successful in Tennessee,” the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation wrote on Twitter. “People like you: who follow, who care, who pay attention, who share, and who do the right thing when it matters most. Thank you!”Memphis police say the suspect is described as a man in his early 20’s who was wearing dark jeans and a red hoodie with a Nike swoosh on the front.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Overall, Italy has nearly 100,000 positive cases and days ago surpassed the total in China, where the outbreak began in late 2019.Spadafora says he’s hoping Serie A officials show “a serious desire to change. The big clubs live in a bubble, beyond their means, starting with the millionaire wages of the players. They need to understand that nothing will be like before anymore after this crisis.”To that end, on Saturday Cristiano Ronaldo and his Juventus teammates along with coach Maurizio Sarri agreed to forgo 90 million euros ($100 million) in wages to help the club during the crisis.Spadafora also says that he will allocate 400 million euros ($450 million) for recovery efforts at amateur sports associations.___ Associated Press The Latest: Italy’s sports minister to extend ban on events Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Italy’s sports minister is planning to extend the ban on games and competitions in the country through all of April. March 29, 2020 More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The current nationwide lockdown is due to expire on Friday but Italian health experts have said the need to try to contain COVID-19 will likely last weeks beyond that.Minister Vincenzo Spadafora tells Italian daily La Repubblica that talks about restarting the Serie A soccer league on May 3 are “unrealistic.”He adds: “(On Monday) I will propose extending the ban on sports competitions at every level for all of April. And I’ll extend the measure to training — an area where we hadn’t intervened because there was still a possibility of holding the Olympics.”Some clubs like Lazio and Napoli had been pushing to restart training as soon as this week.At least 15 Serie A players have tested positive for COVID-19.
Murray cut a frustrated figure as he battled his way past Illya Marchenko in straight sets, shouting up to his box on numerous occasions, but he never looked like missing the opportunity to progress.The world number one had to contend with very troublesome conditions as the sun blazed down on Rod Laver Arena, but he found just enough class to come through the tricky opening encounter – all while his wife Kim Sears battled away with the ‘player box’ cam.Venus, meanwhile, was on very fine form as she overcame Kateryna Kozlova, playing some superb tennis before producing one of the most memorable post-match interviews at Melbourne Park.Venus was in no mood to let interviewer Sam Smith get away with joking about her age, firing back in humorous and pretty cutting fashion.Sadly for Simona Halep, she was not in as high spirits as Venus as she trudged away in heartbreaking fashion after suffering a first-round exit to world number 52 Shelby Rogers.It was hard to watch Halep walk off court with a hood over her head, and then to have to walk down a tunnel with the faces of past winners plastered all over the walls. With Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka, controversy’s Nick Kyrgios and defending champion Angelique Kerber still to come, the opening day in Melbourne is just getting started.Monday’s highlightsAndy Murray secures his place in the second round after a straight sets victory over Illya Marcheko in searing Melbourne heat.Venus Williams survives a rocky start to reach the second round of her 17th Australian Open, beating Kateryna Kozlova 7-6 7-5Seventh seed Garbine Muguruza battles through an injury to overcome Marina Erakovic 7-5 6-4.Fourth seed Simona Halep suffers a shock defeat to world number 52 Shelby Rogers 6-3 6-1. Olympic champion Monica Puig hammers Patricia Tig 6-0 6-1 for the first completed match of this year’s tournament.American Varvara Lepchenko produces an upset over last year’s French Open semi-finalist Kiki Bertens, beating the Belgian 19th seed 7-5 7-6(5).Britain’s Aljaz Bedene loses 7-6 7-5 0-6 6-3 to world number 103 Victor Estrella Burgos to exit in the first round.Kei Nishikori is forced to dig deep with the world number five taken the distance by Russia’s Andrey Kuznetsov before eking out a 5-7 6-1 6-4 6-7(6) 6-2 win.Coco Vandeweghe collapses to the ground after sealing her place in the second round of the Australian Open having battled an illness, 6-1 7-6 over Roberta Vinci. BritwatchAljaz Bedene suffered a very disappointing four-set defeat to world number 103 Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic.Bedene had been tipped to make a surprise run in Melbourne but, as Eurosport commentator Simon Reed reflected, he “made way too many mistakes” when it really mattered.It is the fifth time in a row Bedene has lost in Melbourne in the opening round while world number 103 Estrella Burgos goes through to face Australian Bernard Tomic.Meanwhile, as mentioned above, Andy Murray made it through in straight sets with victory over Illya Marchenko in very tough conditions. The heat proved a real issue throughout the match, but Murray battled his way through to a second-round clash with qualifier, Russia’s Andrey Rublev.Daniel Evans is also in action against Facundo Bagnis, seeking to secure his place in the second round.Stat of the dayPoor Simona Halep – this stat really puts the enormity of her shock first-round defeat in context:RespectCoco Vandeweghe collapsed to the ground after sealing her place in the second round of the Australian Open having battled an illness.It was a highly emotional moment as Vandeweghe was helped at her chair by medical staff and the crowd gave her their full support. The image of the player shaking on the ground having secured victory over Roberta Vinci of Italy was a very powerful one.
The National Anti Doping Agency on Saturday conducted a surprise raid at the National Institute of Sports, Patiala and took samples from the campers in the backdrop of the doping scandal in athletics.A four-member NADA team, headed by doctor Ankush Gupta, raided the premises of NIS and searched rooms of the campers, besides taking urine samples. The raid started around 1300hrs.The raid and taking of samples was not directed to track and field athletes only but to all the campers at the NIS.”A four-member team raided NIS, searched the rooms of the campers there and took urine samples also for dope testing. Dr Ankush Gupta was the team leader and there was one lady officer of NADA also,” NADA Director General Rahul Bhatnagar told PTI.Bhatnagar, however, said that the raid was a part of the routine drive of NADA to increase monitoring of athletes from using performance-enhancing drugs.”It was not directed to track and field athletes. The team raided the rooms of other non track and field campers also and took samples from them. It was part of our routine drive under our increased vigilance to tackle doping,” he said.Eight track and field athletes tested positive for anbolic steroids in one of the worst doping scandals in the country and six of them trained at the NIS Patiala.Mandeep Kaur, Sini Jose and Ashwini Akkunji, who were part of the 4x400m relay quartet that won gold in the Commonwealth and Asian Games last year, and three other quartermilers Jauna Murmu, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Panwar were training at NIS when they were caught for doping.– With PTI inputsadvertisement
Twitter/@basketballtalkThis one might get a little bit awkward. This afternoon, University of Memphis president Dr. M. David Russ announced that the school will be honoring former head basketball coach John Calipari this December. Will be honoring Hall of Fame coach @UKCoachCalipari in Memphis, Dec 28-29. Stay tuned for details. Will be a great homecoming.— Dr. M. David Rudd (@UofMemphisPres) September 9, 2015From 2001-2009, Calipari was extremely successful with the Tigers. The program went 252-69 under Calipari, reaching the Elite Eight three times and losing in the national championship in 2007-08. Of course, that season, in which the Tigers went 38-1, was vacated after the NCAA invalidated star guard Derrick Rose’s SAT score. By the time the NCAA made its ruling, Calipari had already taken the job at Kentucky.Calipari has a major hand in turning Memphis into a nationally relevant program, but his departure has definitely rubbed many Tigers fans the wrong way. We’re very interested to see what type of reaction the fan base has in December.
Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh apologized on Twitter shortly after commenting on the motivation behind Colin Kaepernick’s national anthem protest.Earlier today, Jim Harbaugh said he “didn’t respect the motivation” behind San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s decision to sit down during the national anthem on Friday night.Kaepernick, who played for Harbaugh in San Fran from 2011-14, explained his decision on multiple occasions, saying it revolved around the treatment of black people and people of color in the U.S.“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game against Green Bay. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”Just minutes after his initial comments on Kaepernick went public –and caused some criticism on social media–Jim Harbaugh apologized on his favorite medium.I apologize for misspeaking my true sentiments. To clarify, I support Colin’s motivation. It’s his method of action that I take exception to— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) August 29, 2016Looking at the responses to Harbaugh’s tweet, some have accepted his apology, others haven’t and some are wondering why he apologized in the first place. Seems like the man can’t help causing a stir even when he doesn’t intend to.
Nothing like the whiff of cordite to set a society on a forensic soul-searching mission: Two explosions in Chile last week — one near aSantiago metro station, the other in a supermarket in Viña del Mar — have shaken this mostly peaceable nation like an Andean temblor and left much of Latin America perplexed.Violence is hardly new in Chile, and almost routine this time of year, when Chileans remember the coup d’etat of Sept. 11, 1973. Though it’s been 41 years, the wounds are still fresh from the military dictatorship that lasted until 1990, took more than 40,000 lives, and “disappeared” many more.But unlike the odd petard in the night set off by vandals or millenarian misfits, the latest attacks were more deadly — the one in Santiago injured 14 people, some of them seriously. For the first time since the fall of General Augusto Pinochet, talk of “terrorism” headlines the news, prompting some Chileans to argue that the authorities should weigh reactivating the junta’s intelligence police. Police investigators are still scouring the rubble for clues and suspects.Few nations have done as much to disarm the social and political ordnance that lies strewn across Latin America. This land of 17.4 million boasts one of the highest per capita incomes in the region, and also the best performance by school children, a minuscule illiteracy rate, plunging poverty and a culture of political civility that has kept the country stable, democratic and prosperous even as government toggles from the staunch right to socialist left.Look closely, however, and the Andean idyll seems like a dream deferred. Chile’s achievements are enviable for Latin America, but Chileans no longer want to be merely the best among the least. Many are dogged by their status as the last among best. Chile has the worst income inequality in the high-income nations of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. Its 15-year-olds scored below average on OECD standardized problem solving tests, placing 36th of 44 among these elite nations. Tourists walk at the Cerro Astillero, which overviews the port of Valparaíso, Chile, on Sept. 13, 2014. Valparaíso is one of the most important South American ports on the Pacific Ocean. Martin Bernetti/AFPChile is right to be proud of its hybrid education system, which turned over public schools to private initiative and saw universities multiply and the number of students rise 10-fold since the 1980s. But the market-friendly solution also forced students into taking exorbitant loans. Millions of students hit the streets in 2011, bringing the government of then-President Sebastián Piñera almost to its knees. Bachelet, a socialist, rode the rebel wave to the ballot box promising free universal education, which her legislative majority has just brought a step closer by passing a sweeping tax reform.With the economy slowing, however, business leaders are underwhelmed — not least over the prospect of losing the Taxable Profit Fund, or FUT, which allows companies to decant earnings into reinvestment. Bachelet’s critics say that slashing the FUT will slow growth and curb investment.Maybe so, but Chile’s corporate elite has its own problems. For starters, it’s less clear just how the FUT has kicked in to the Chilean economy. In a recent visit to Chile, Ricardo Hausmann, the former chief economist for the Inter-American Development Bank told Revista Capital that despite the $270 billion corporate honey pot, Chile’s private sector has “one of the lowest rates of research and development in the OECD.”The larger problem may be one of complacency. Despite Chile’s reputation as the most open economy in Latin America and its 150 years of plumbing the Andes for copper, it is still not a global player. “If Chile were so good at extracting minerals, there would be Chileans mining abroad,” Hausmann said.Of course, protesters don’t get juiced over innovation and no one sets off a bomb because of lackluster productivity. But the seething in September is an unsettling reminder for Latin America’s model country that there is much left to be done.Margolis is Brazil bureau chief for Vocativ.© 2014, Bloomberg News Facebook Comments Related posts:Sentencing in Chile begins to bring closure in 41-year-old murder cases of US citizens Frank Teruggi and Charles Horman Latin America, Israel trade after trading insults One dead in latest Chile bombing After 30 years, mother hopes for justice in son’s murder during Chilean protest