New Music: 40Hurtz Advertisement TAGScity hallgraffitiMusic Limerickrsu armed garda Email Previous articleThief arrived to court with stolen cosmeticsNext articleNew legislation to help protect children against sexual abuse Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin WhatsApp Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] members of the Garda Regional Response Unit were called to City Hall last Thursday morning after what was described as “threatening graffiti” was discovered daubed on an external wall of the local authority headquarters.Gardaí are reviewing CCTV footage and continuing their investigations on the basis that the material was of an offensive nature and indirect threats had been made against persons.The black text graffiti was immediately covered up by council workers who used plastic sheets and wooden battens to prevent the material been seen by members of the public and visitors to the area.A senior Garda source said that the graffiti daubed on the wall of the Council building was being treated very seriously.It read, “Dear Karma, I have a list of people that you missed”. It was signed MIB.The operation to remove the text had been hampered due to the type of residue left by the paint.It is understood that the wall cannot be sandblasted to remove the graffiti.Costs to remove the offensive material are estimated to be over €2,000 but the area has been painted temporarily to hide the graffiti. Print #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy NewsInvestigation launched after threatening graffiti daubed on City HallBy Staff Reporter – December 17, 2013 1440 Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Twitter Facebook
“Due to anticipated excitement by our guests, Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure may experience high demand,” the theme park wrote on its website.The attraction opened on Tuesday to hundreds of ‘invitation only’ guests who took part in an event inside Islands of Adventure, complete with members of the motion picture cast, to welcome the theme park’s newest attraction.The ride includes Hogwarts’ gamekeeper Hagrid as guests guide as they are put on motorbikes and sent through twists and turns while being surrounded by towering trees and creatures.It is unclear when the wait time for the ride will decrease. As Dumbledore once said ‘dark and difficult times lie ahead,’ specifically, for fans of the beloved Harry Potter series who want to partake in Universal’s newest wizard-themed ride, Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure.As of Thursday, an estimated 600-minute, 10-hour wait time is listed for the ride with some Universal goers taking to Twitter to describe their not so magical experience on the ride’s opening day.It’s 5:40 and I have made it to the Islands of Adventure entrance on opening day of Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. As long as there aren’t technical difficulties, I’ll definitely get a ride in before the storms hit today pic.twitter.com/XabVB3xb5x— Jonathan Cooper (@dxwwf3) June 13, 2019
— Hours after the Australian government called for its citizens to cancel all non-essential travel, the Australian rules Australian Football League announced it was postponing its seasons until May 31. Australia’s various football leagues were among the few remaining professional sports still playing across the globe.— The $12 million Dubai World Cup, the world’s richest purse in horse racing, will be postponed until next year. That’s according to a governmental agency. Officials had planned to run the race March 28 without spectators.NFL-NEWSAP sources: Jets agree to 1-year deal with CB Pierre DesirNEW YORK (AP) — The New York Jets and cornerback Pierre Desir have agreed to terms on a deal, according to two people with direct knowledge of the contract. Barefoot Hamlin wins NASCAR iRaceCHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Denny Hamlin won a race without using a drop of gas.Racing barefoot, the three-time Daytona 500 winner beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. off the final corner to win a NASCAR iRacing event at virtual Homestead-Miami Speedway.Damaged cars were repaired with the push of a button, among a few virtual signs that NASCAR backed quite an unreal race.NASCAR eased off the brake in the real sports world brought to a sudden halt by the coronavirus and introduced the country to iRacing with some of the sport’s biggest stars. The International Olympic Committee now says it will consider the possibility of postponing the Summer Games. The IOC issued a statement saying it will hold four weeks of discussions with global sports officials and Japanese authorities to examine the options. It says the “scenario planning” will include the possibility of changing the July 24 start date for the Games, but that “cancellation is not on the agenda.”The announcement came after IOC President Thomas Bach led a conference call with executive board members.The leader of the international track federation has sent a letter to Bach saying holding the Olympics in July “is neither feasible nor desirable” with the coronavirus impacting huge swaths of the globe.The Canadian Olympic Committee has made the strongest objection yet to an Olympics this summer, announcing it will not send a team to Tokyo unless the games are postponed for a year. Canada is the first country to threaten such a move in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.The committee sent out a statement Sunday evening saying it was willing to help the IOC search for alternatives. However, it feels it was not safe for athletes, “their families and the broader Canadian community for athletes to continue training for these Games.” The Athletic first reported the Jets’ agreement with Desir, who was released by Colts on Saturday.The 29-year-old defensive back spent the past three seasons with Indianapolis, where he had 161 total tackles, five interceptions, 26 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery in 37 games, including 29 starts.Also in the NFL:— A person with knowledge of the deal says the Seahawks have agreed to terms with offensive lineman Chance Warmack. The former first-round pick has not played since 2018 when he appeared in nine games for Philadelphia. Warmack sat out last season to reportedly get healthy after a series of injuries.NASCAR-iRACING March 23, 2020 The United States governing bodies of swimming and track have called on their national Olympic officials to push for a postponement.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSJays’ Shapiro expects 4-week spring training before seasonUNDATED (AP) — Toronto Blue Jays President Mark Shapiro says he thinks Major League Baseball would need at least a month of workouts and exhibition games before regular season play can begin.Opening day has been postponed until at least mid-May because of the coronavirus pandemic. It was Hamlin’s 31st victory in iRacing, which is where he was first discovered by Earnhardt long before he made it to NASCAR. He said he raced barefoot because “I like to feel the pedals.”Hamlin was heavily involved in putting together Sunday’s pretend race, which was broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 and called by its regular team of Mike Joy and Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon.NASCAR has suspended racing until at least May 9.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-OLYMPICSIOC considers postponing Tokyo Olympics…Canada says no to 2020 Summer GamesUNDATED (AP) — There’s a growing possibility the Tokyo Olympics won’t begin in late July as scheduled due to the new coronavirus. Shapiro cautioned that training camps aren’t likely to open for some time because of the outbreak. All but three of Toronto’s major league players have left the team’s spring training site in Dunedin, Florida. Shapiro says no Blue Jays players or staff have displayed any symptoms of the new coronavirus, and that no one has been tested.Shapiro spoke to reporters on Sunday from his home in Toronto.In other virus-related developments:— Leading golf instructor Pete Cowen tells The Daily Telegraph in Britain he has all the symptoms of the new coronavirus. Cowen says he has told all his players to follow health and government guidelines on COVID-19. Cowen works with Henrik Stenson, Brooks Koepka (KEHP’-kuh), Gary Woodland and Graeme McDowell, among many others.— The St. Louis Blues say a relative of a team employee has tested positive for COVID-19. The person is in self-isolation along with members of the person’s family, according to the team. All Blues staff who may have come into close contact with the employee have been notified. The team says it is asking for all members of the Blues to remain isolated, monitor their health and seek advice from team medical staff. Update on the latest sports Associated Press The Australian Olympic Committee is advising its athletes to prepare for an Olympics in 2021. Ian Chesterman, Australia’s team leader for Tokyo, says “It’s clear the games can’t be held in July.”Two-time gold medalist Seb Coe has sent a letter to Bach stating that holding the Olympics in July “is neither feasible nor desirable” with the coronavirus impacting huge swaths of the globe. Coe sent the letter after meeting with leaders from around the world in track, which is the biggest sport at the Olympics. It came hours after the IOC announced it could take up to four weeks to make a decision on whether to postpone the games, which are scheduled to start July 24.Coe is a two-time Olympic track champion in the men’s 1,500 and president of the International Association of Athletics Federations.Leaders at the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee said the update provided by the IOC about the Tokyo Olympics signaled an important step. However, those U.S. sports leaders say athletes are still beset with questions about whether the games will go ahead as scheduled.National Olympic committees in Brazil and Slovenia later called for a postponement to 2021. Norway’s Olympic body said it did not want athletes going to Tokyo until the global health crisis is under control.
New season, new life.With the regular season behind it, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team hosted St. Cloud State at the Eagle’s Nest, sweeping them 9-3 and 5-1, respectively, and earning a spot in the WCHA Final Face-off next weekend.While the Huskies didn’t have the most ideal regular season – winning only one game – the No. 1 Badgers expected a tough fight, especially from a team that was given new life in the playoffs.“As I mentioned in a press conference on Monday, you get into the playoffs and you start a second season,” head coach Mark Johnson said. “Everybody’s at the starting gates irrelevant of how the season went… They’re here to win, so they came out and they’re going to play hard.”Special teams shineDespite being the underdog, SCSU gave UW a physical fight with a total of 22 penalties between the two squads.With 10 power play opportunities in the series, Wisconsin capitalized on four of them, including three Friday night with five opportunities.Fielding a stronger power play, the Badgers know how important special teams play is to winning games.“They’re huge,” Johnson said. “Obviously special teams at this time of the year are crucial as you get farther along in the games. If you are going to be successful, you need your penalty kill unit working hard and your power-play unit scoring goals. That is going to help you win games.”“Extremely important,” junior forward Hilary Knight added. “We want to capitalize on every opportunity. There was a bunch of penalties called here tonight. We got a couple bounces that went our way and others that [SCSU goaltender Ashley] Nixon made a great save on.”Not only did UW have a fairly successful power play – especially Friday night – the squad was also solid on the penalty kill, allowing only one power play goal through eight chances for SCSU on the weekend.Fighting to stay alive, the Huskies started to get very physical in the third period of Saturday night’s game, sitting in the penalty box three times, while the Badgers couldn’t seem to stay disciplined with five different players in the box in a 10-minute span.“You can’t control what the refs are doing,” said sophomore forward Brianna Decker. “We had to PK a lot, especially in the third period. We thought the last two minutes was probably the longest two minutes of our lives, just sitting there on the bench, waiting for the game to end. We just had to stay on them, not give them time or space.”Rigsby eases into playoffsHeading into the third period Friday night, St. Cloud State kept things close at 4-3, just one goal behind Wisconsin.Freshman goaltender Alex Rigsby didn’t let the Huskies score another goal until there were six and a half minutes left in Saturday night’s game.In her first playoff experience, Rigsby stayed relatively solid for the Badgers. But after letting in three goals and allowing the Huskies to stay in Friday night’s game entering the third period, it seemed like her nerves may have been catching up to her.“[Rigsby’s a] young kid,” Johnson said. “It’s a rink that there’s not a lot of space behind the net. If the puck gets there, it doesn’t take much to get it out in front of the net. Pucks seemed to be bouncing the whole game. Again for her, it’s her first playoff game and it’s a learning opportunity for her.”There seemed to be a distinct difference in Rigsby’s play Saturday. She made 16 total saves that prevented the Huskies from getting any sort of momentum going.Friday night, Wisconsin outshot St. Cloud by only eight shots – one of the closest margins the squad has seen all season. But facing a total of 34 shots, Rigsby held strong, saving 30 of them.“[Friday] night, we really let our guard down and let people break in into the inside of the ice and that wasn’t her fault,” Knight said. “She’s a great player, every game growing and evolving into – hopefully – Jessie [Vetter] or whomever the top goaltender is.”
Mexico 1986 was an unforgettable FIFA World Cup for all sorts of reasons, not least the electrifying performances of a certain Diego Armando Maradona.But just as historic and significant as Argentina’s triumph was the less-heralded success enjoyed by Morocco earlier in the competition.After all, in drawing with England and Poland and beating Portugal 3-1, the Atlas Lions not only became the first African team to qualify for the second stage of a World Cup – they topped their group.A narrow 1-0 defeat to eventual finalists West Germany followed in the last 16, but a barrier had been broken and, since then, African teams have become regular participants in the tournament’s knockout rounds.