Despite serious injuries, editor leaves hospital and goes into hiding

first_imgNews RSF_en Alarm after two journalists murdered in Brazil News Receive email alerts In a release posted online yesterday, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) reported that Maurício Melato Barth, the owner and editor of the bimonthly newspaper Info-Bairros, has gone into hiding with his family since leaving hospital following treatment for the serious injuries he received in a shooting attack on 23 March. Barth was shot in both legs and doctors have told him he will need 15 months of rehabilitation before he will be able to walk again. Info-Bairros has had to stop publishing and Barth is not predicting when it might start up again.____________________________________________________________05.04.05 Southern newspaper editor seriously wounded in shootingReporters Without Borders voiced outrage today at a shooting attack that left newspaper editor Maurício Melato Barth seriously injured on 23 March in the southern city of Itapema (Santa Catarina state) and suggested local authorities could have been involved.”We firmly condemn the violence and cowardliness of this attack, which aimed to silence a journalist,” the press freedom organization said.”It is highly likely this ‘contract’ was carried out with the support, if not at the behest, of local officials who had been criticized in the victim’s articles, and we therefore call for a federal investigation to find out who was involved,” Reporters Without Borders added.The owner and editor of the local newspaper Infobairros, Melato found two masked men waiting for him when he returned home on the evening of 23 March. They fired three shots at him at close range, hitting him twice and shattering both of his thighbones.Melato has often run stories on local corruption. “Itapema’s mayor is suspected of corruption,” Ricardo Pedreira of the National Association of Journalists (ANJ) told Reporters Without Borders, adding, “it is quite probable that this was an attempted contract killing.”The same view was taken by Itapema-based freelance journalist André Gobbo. “Maurício had accused local politicians in his newspaper of administrative irregularities,” he told Reporters Without Borders.The shooting has caused a stir. “The Santa Catarina state government has organized and sent a team of investigators acting independently of our local police,” Gobbo said.Melato was initially hospitalized in Blumenau, where he spent a week. Then he was transferred to Curitiba, in neighbouring Paraná state. April 27, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information May 13, 2021 Find out more 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies BrazilAmericas center_img Follow the news on Brazil Reports RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America News April 12, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Despite serious injuries, editor leaves hospital and goes into hiding to go further BrazilAmericas Organisation April 15, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Utah Football Hosts Colorado Saturday For Senior Day

first_img Tags: Colorado Football/Utah Football Written by November 25, 2019 /Sports News – Local Utah Football Hosts Colorado Saturday For Senior Day FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailSALT LAKE CITY-Saturday, No. 6 Utah (10-1, 7-1 in Pac-12 play) hosts Colorado (5-6, 3-5 in Pac-12 play) for Senior Day. With a win at Rice-Eccles Stadium Saturday, the Utes will have clinched the Pac-12 South title for the second consecutive season.Under head coach Kyle Whittingham (2004-present; 130-62, .677) the Utes are 69-24 (.742) at Rice-Eccles Stadium including two undefeated seasons at home, 2008 and 2009. With a win over the Buffaloes, this would be the Utes’ third undefeated season at home in the Whittingham era.A win against Colorado also gives the Utes their eighth straight win. This would be their longest winning streak since 2010.The Utes score 34.7 points per game, ranking them 24th nationally.Senior signal-caller Tyler Huntley ranks fifth nationally in passing efficiency (187.6). He has completed 75 percent of his passes (174-232; second nationally) for 2,608 yards, 14 touchdowns and two interceptions.Senior tailback Zack Moss (108 car, 1,158 yards [16th nationally], 14 touchdowns) averages 6.4 yards per carry (11th nationally) for the Utes.Sophomore tight end Brant Kuithe (26 rec, 487 yards, 4 TD’s) is the leader in scoring receptions on the squad. Sophomore receiver Bryan Thompson (17 rec, 452 yards, 3 TD’s) leads the Utes in yards per reception (26.6 yards per grab).Freshman kicker Jadon Redding has made 8 of his 11 field goal attempts and all 48 of his PAT attempts on the season for Utah.The Utah defense only gives up 10.9 points per game, ranking them fourth nationally.Senior defensive end Bradlee Anae posted seven tackles and one stop for a loss in the 35-7 win over Arizona November 23.This netted him Pac-12 defensive lineman of the week honors Monday. On the season, Anae has 11 sacks (tied for fifth nationally with Wisconsin’s Chris Orr and Quincy Roche of Temple), a team-best 12 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble.Senior linebacker Francis Bernard leads the Utes in total tackles with 69 and also has two interceptions on the season for Utah.Senior defensive back Julian Blackmon has a team-best four interceptions as well as two forced fumbles for the Utes.Junior defensive back Jaylon Johnson has two interceptions on the season for the Utes and senior defensive tackle John Penisini is tied for the team lead with two forced fumbles.Colorado is led by first-year head coach Mel Tucker (5-6, .455) with the Buffaloes coming off of a 20-14 upset of Washington November 23 at Boulder, Colo.The Buffaloes currently average 24.3 points per game, ranking them 99th nationally in scoring offense.Colorado is led by senior signal-caller Steven Montez  who completes 62.8 percent of his passes (238-379) for 2,651 yards, 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.Sophomore tailback Alex Fontenot (172 car, 825 yards, 5 TD’s) and freshman running mate Jaren Mangham (107 car, 441 yards, 3 TD’s) pace the Colorado running game.Junior wide-out Laviska Shenault Jr. (52 rec, 721 yards, 4 TD’s) and senior receiver Tony Brown (55 rec, 698 yards, 5 TD’s) are the Buffaloes’ leading receivers on the season.Redshirt freshman kicker Evan Price made both of his field goal attempts against Washington, improving to 4-4 on field goal attempts on the season.Colorado gives up 30.6 points per game, tying them for 87th nationally in scoring defense with Georgia Tech and Toledo.Junior inside linebacker Nate Landham has 123 total tackles on the season to lead the Buffaloes. He also has two sacks and an interception on the season for Colorado.Sophomore defensive end Terrance Lang has 5 sacks on the season for the Buffaloes to lead the squad in that category.Graduate student safety Mikial Onu has a team-best four interceptions and three forced fumble, showcasing his versatility for the Buffaloes’ defense.In a series dating back to 1903, the Buffaloes lead the Utes 32-30-3 all-time with Utah leading the series 17-4-2 all-time at Salt Lake City. Brad Jameslast_img read more

How are biggest café chains responding to coronavirus?

first_imgGreggsStores:Closing all seating areas and offering a takeaway service onlyClosing customer toilets to allow shop staff to focus on keeping shops cleanMoving all items from condiment units including milk jugs, sugar sachets, cutlery, hot drinks stirrers and napkins to behind the counterClosing water refill stations and not accepting reusable cupsEncouraging customers to pay contactless and respect each other’s personal space while waiting to be servedOffering all emergency service personnel and health and social care workers free hot drinks on presentation of their work pass“Our shops will remain trading for as long as we’re able to keep them open.  However, we need to temporarily change the way we do things, to create a place where our customers and colleagues feel comfortable and safe with minimal contact,” said CEO Roger Whiteside. “We recognise that these changes will make shopping with us more inconvenient and we’re sorry about that, but keeping our customers and colleagues as safe as possible must come first.” StarbucksStores:Closing selected stores, including ones in areas where people typically gather in large groups such as cinemas and recreation parksMoving to a to-go only model across the rest of the UK estate, stopping the use of all seatingModifying condiment bar and moving to a cashless modelOffering free filtered coffee to all NHS, council and emergency services staff“The Covid-19 situation is extremely dynamic, but we know from our experiences in other countries, as well as direction from healthcare officials, that the above practices are effective in helping to prevent the spread. I am confident we can apply them across all our stores swiftly and seamlessly,” said Alex Rayner, general manager, Starbucks UK.Pret A MangerStores:Operating mainly as a takeaway business, with seating areas closedFree hot drinks to NHS workers and 50% off everything elseChanging opening hours as necessaryNo longer accepting reusable cups, but will honour discount for customers bringing their cupHave removed water cups from free water stations.Moved all cutlery and napkins to behind tillsSanitising all surfaces that are regularly touched by staff or customers at a minimum of every 30 minutes.Staff:Reinforcing regular, thorough hand-washing using antibacterial hand soap, with staff always washing their hands every 30 minutes in our kitchens, immediately after handling money and before starting a new task. Following government advice around ensuring staff self-isolate as required.BP – Wild Bean CaféStores:Suspended sale of all open products, including pastries, sweat treats and hot savoury range.Suspended use of all reusable cups. Britain’s biggest café chains are making major changes to their operations in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.Seating areas are being closed, product ranges altered and payment operations changed to help minimise the spread of Covid-19 to customers and staff. Business are also saying thank you to key workers, such as NHS staff, with discounts and free hot drinks.Here we take a look at how the biggest coffee chains have responded (as of 19 March 2020):NOTE: For the latest information on which stores are open following the government’s announcement on Friday 20 March, see here.CostaStores:All stores are now cashless and only accept card paymentsAll seating areas removed to support government guidance on social distancing, although toilets will continue to be openAll drinks served in takeaway cups and food in takeaway packagingDrinks won’t be served in a reusable cup, but Costa will honour its 25p discount if customers bring their own cupNewspapers removedFood range will be limitedCosta Express machines continue as normalStaff:Any staff with symptoms asked to stay home and self-isolate for at least seven days. If a team member lives with someone else and they have symptoms, Costa has requested that they stay home and follow government recommendations for household isolation.“While some of these changes will feel quite disruptive, we believe they are the right thing to do for our customers and store teams,” said Costa. “We are especially mindful of the move to takeaway only and ask that customers dispose of and recycle their Costa Coffee packaging responsibly. We will continue to recycle cups and welcome you dropping them back into store, if possible.”SubwayStores:Increased frequency of cleaning and sanitising stores, especially most-touched surfaces such as door handles, credit card readers, dining areas, and restrooms, so that it’s done every hour.Dine-in sandwich baskets and serving trays removedChanged beverage refill policy so customers are offered a new cup with each refillStaff:Reinforced existing health and food safety protocols with store teams, such as frequent and proper handwashing, glove use, and ensuring employees who are ill stay home and seek medical attention.“We are prepared for any service changes to local Subway stores should they be required by the public health department officials. We will continue to proactively monitor, evaluate and respond to the impact of the virus, and we will update you on how we are making swift changes with your safety and needs in mind.”last_img read more

Eduardo Camavinga breaks France record in Croatia victory

first_img Promoted Content6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalTop 10 Disney Male Role ModelsWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?20 Interesting Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About SiberiaWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Who’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market ValueDeepika Padukone’s Most Memorable Looks9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo Deschamps made seven changes from Saturday’s win in Solna with Wissam Ben Yedder and Anthony Martial leading the attack after Kylian Mbappe contracted Covid-19. Antoine Griezmann, Dayot Upamecano, Olivier Giroud as well as an own goal from the visitors’ goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic secured a repeat result from Russia two years ago. Read Also: No more Messi chase for now, says Inter vice-presidentDeschamps’ side claimed all three points with two goals in the final 25 minutes.Upamecano claimed the third goal, and his first in international football, with a header from a Griezmann corner.Chelsea’s Giroud then converted a 77th-minute penalty for the fourth before France closed out the game.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Eduardo Camavinga became France’s youngest international in 96 years as les Bleus won a repeat of the 2018 World Cup final in a 4-2 Nations League victory over Croatia on Tuesday. Midfielder Camavinga, aged 17 years and nine months, replaced Ngolo Kante at the Stade de France in the second half and is only surpassed by Julien Verbrugghe, aged 16 years and 10 months in 1906, and Maurice Gastiger, at 17 years and 4 months in 1914. Didier Deschamps’ World Cup winners are second on goal difference in Group A behind Portugal who beat Sweden 2-0 as Cristiano Ronaldo crossed the 100-goal mark for his country.center_img Loading… Former Liverpool centre-back Dejan Lovren opened the scoring for the visitors in a near-empty ground due to the coronavirus pandemic with a half-volleyed effort inside the hosts’ box after a quarter of an hour of play. Griezmann, who missed a penalty in the weekend’s victory, equalised with two minutes of the first half remaining by side-footing home Martial’s low cross. Manchester United’s Martial was involved in the next les Bleus goal a minute into injury time. Dominik Livakovic fumbled Martial’s attempt into his goal after Ben Yedder’s dangerous ball. The sides were equal once again 10 minutes into the second half as Chelsea’s Mateo Kovacic split the home side’s defence in half with a tidy through ball. Substitute Josip Brekalo held up possession well before sliding his effort past Hugo Lloris. Camavinga’s historic moment came 27 minutes from time as he substituted Chelsea’s Kante.last_img read more