Gweebara group calls for changes to planning law

first_img The Gweebarra Conservation Group in West Donegal is calling for changes to planning laws to make it easier for people to view planning applications.The group was commenting after details of an application for a 38 turbine windfarm outside Glenties appeared online this week. Spokesperson Patricia Sharkey says the fairest way to ensure access would be to oblige councils to provide maps and plans on CD.She says it’s difficult for people to assess a 500 page document……..[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/shark1pm.mp3[/podcast] Gweebara group calls for changes to planning law Previous articlePaint-bomb thrown at Derry Ulsterbus driverNext articleCoughlan to introduce probation programme for newly qualified teachers News Highland Twitter Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Google+center_img 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Pinterest Newsx Adverts Twitter Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North By News Highland – July 21, 2010 WhatsApp Google+ Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan firelast_img read more

‘Russia State-sponsored Doping across Majority of Olympic Sports’

first_imgRussia operated a state-sponsored doping programme for four years across the “vast majority” of summer and winter Olympic sports, claims a new report.It was “planned and operated” from late 2011 – including the build-up to London 2012 – and continued through the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics until August 2015.An investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says Russia’s sports ministry “directed, controlled and oversaw” manipulation of urine samples provided by its athletes. It says Russian athletes benefited from what the report called the “Disappearing Positive Methodology”, whereby positive doping samples would go missing.International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach described the commission’s findings as a “shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sport and on the Olympic Games” and pledged to enforce the “toughest sanctions available” against those implicated.The IOC will decide on Tuesday about any “provisional measures and sanctions” for the Rio Olympics, which start on August 5.The commission, led by Canadian law professor and sports lawyer Dr Richard McLaren, looked into allegations made by the former head of Russia’s national anti-doping laboratory.Grigory Rodchenkov claimed he doped dozens of athletes before the 2014 Winter Olympics, which were held in Sochi, Russia.Rodchenkov – described by the Kremlin as a “scandalous” former official – also alleged he had been helped by the Russian secret service, the FSB.He claimed they had worked out how to open and reseal supposedly tamper-proof bottles that were used for storing urine samples so the contents could be replaced with “clean” urine.McLaren sent a random amount of stored samples from “protected Russian athletes” at Sochi 2014 to an anti-doping laboratory in London to see if they had scratch marks around the necks of the bottles that would indicate they had been manipulated.McLaren said “100% of the bottles had been scratched” but added that would “not have been visible to the untrained eye”.He said he had “unwavering confidence” in all of his findings.The damning report does not make any recommendations, but will fuel calls for a complete ban on Russia from the 2016 Summer Olympics, which start in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on August 5.Wada has recommended the IOC “decline entries, for Rio 2016, of all athletes” submitted by the Russian Olympic Committee and the Russian Paralympic Committee. Russian government officials should also be banned from this summer’s Games, it said.WADA President, Sir Craig Reedie, called the “scope and scale” of the findings a “real horror story”, adding that he was “encouraged” the “correct decision” would be taken by the IOC.“I’m not sure that the system is broken,” Reedie told BBC Radio 5 live. “But if you are determined to cheat you can get round the system. We can’t sit back on the situation; we have to work with Russian officials to change the culture in that country.”President Vladimir Putin made the Sochi Games a showcase event and spent more than $50bn (£37.7bn) staging the Games.On Monday, Putin said officials named in the McLaren report would be suspended, pending a thorough investigation.But a statement released by the Kremlin criticised the report as “accusations against Russian athletes” based on the testimony of “a person with a scandalous reputation”.It also warned of a “dangerous recurrence of interference of politics in sport”.Putin has asked WADA to provide “more complete, objective, evidence-based information” to Russian investigators.The report said Russia’s ‘Disappearing Positive Methodology’ worked when analysis could be done at the Moscow laboratory.But at an international event – such as London 2012, the Athletics World Championships of 2013, or the Swimming World Championships of 2015 – Russia had to adapt its methods.The report found:Dr Rodchenkov’s “cocktail” of steroids was given to athletes prior to London 2012. They were drugs he felt were least likely to be detectedForty six Russian athletes with performance-enhancing drugs in their system were pre-tested from 17-22 July 2012They were categorised as red – will test positive and should be replaced; amber – traces of drugs, but should be clear for London; green – cleanAll records of positive tests were falsified into negative resultsAthletes were also given micro-doses of blood-booster erythropoietin (EPO) up until two weeks before they left for LondonEleven of the 46 athletes won medals at London 2012 – some have since been banned and had their medals strippedIn June 2016, the IOC ordered retests of London 2012 samples – eight athletes tested positiveIt was “inconceivable” that Russia’s Sports Minister, Vitaly Mutko, was not aware of the doping cover-up scheme, according to the report.Mutko has been in position since 2008. He is a member of the executive committee of football’s world governing body, FIFA, and chairs the organising committee of the 2018 World Cup, to be held in Russia.The report claimed Mutko personally intervened to cover up a doping case of “at least” one overseas football player in the Russian League and that 11 positive tests by Russia footballers disappeared.However, it was Mutko’s deputy, Yuri Nagornykh, who was advised of “every positive analytical finding” from the Moscow laboratory from 2011 onwards – in “total violation” of WADA rules – and decided who to protect.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Giancarlo Stanton, once close to becoming a Dodger, has a chance to come home

first_imgA special photo of the Notre Dame High baseball team is hanging on a wall of Tom Dill’s office. This one was taken in Sept. 2016, right after Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident.When news of the fatal crash reached the Sherman Oaks campus, Notre Dame’s head baseball coach dressed every player in his program – freshmen to seniors, JV to varsity – in a Marlins shirt bearing Fernandez’s number 16. The players lined up in three rows of about 20 each. A photographer captured the moment from an elevated perch.Dill kept one copy of the photo for himself. He sent another to his star pupil, Giancarlo Stanton, who was mourning 3,000 miles away from home.“When a guy represents your school in good character, I thought, I want to do something right now,” Dill said. “That was a nice moment. And my guys wrote him letters, a box full of letters.” Giancarlo Stanton might never become a Dodger, the team he rooted for growing up. He almost did a decade ago and he seems to have a chance now. The Marlins are trying so aggressively to trade him, some teams received permission from Major League Baseball to meet Stanton personally to discuss a potential deal. The Dodgers were not among those teams.Still, Stanton’s connection to his home town remains strong. He lives in Southern California in the offseason. His immediate family lives in the area too. When the San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals were recently granted an audience with the reigning National League Most Valuable Player, the meetings were reportedly held in Los Angeles.The photograph Dill sent Stanton was not unrequited. Each of the last two years, Dill said, Stanton has supplied the Notre Dame baseball team with equipment from his sponsor, Nike.It’s no wonder that the Dodgers would be Stanton’s first (if not his only) choice to waive the no-trade clause in his contract, which guarantees a total of $325 million – the most ever for an MLB player.If he does not choose to opt out of his contract after the 2020 season, Stanton is still owed a minimum of $295 million. The Dodgers had baseball’s highest player payroll in 2017, reportedly totaling $244 million. They would have to get creative to simultaneously lower that number and absorb Stanton’s 2018 salary of $25 million. So far, the Giants and Cardinals are the only teams reported to receive permission to meet with him. The last time teams came to Southern California to visit Stanton, the field was wide open.At Notre Dame, Stanton played baseball, basketball and football. Football was his favorite. USC, then coached by Pete Carroll, actively recruited him as a cornerback. With the speed and the height of a Division I point guard, Stanton could be taken seriously in all three sports. That left him no time for the summer baseball circuit, which in turn shrouded him somewhat from major league scouts.The Marlins, led by scout Tim McDonnell, were on to Stanton early and often. The Dodgers were intrigued too. At a private workout at Dodger Stadium in 2007, a 17-year-old Stanton was already ringing balls off the deep left field bleacher seats in batting practice.Dodgers scout George Genovese wrote in his 2015 memoir that he recommended Stanton to the team’s draft director, Logan White, as a first-round pick. The Dodgers had two picks before the second round that year, 20th and 39th overall. They used the picks on pitchers Chris Withrow and James Adkins, respectively.The Marlins passed on Stanton in the first round too, instead choosing infielder Matt Dominguez from Chatsworth High. But by the time the Dodgers drafted in the second round, Stanton was gone. He went to the Marlins with the 76th pick and signed for $475,000 – $56,500 over MLB’s recommendation for the draft slot at the time.Hindsight is 20-20. White acknowledges there was an oversight, but not of Stanton’s talent.“We had to stick with slot in those days,” he said. “As it turns out the sign-ability info was wrong more than the evaluation info, because he would have signed at those picks.”History does not allow for do-overs – of the 2007 draft or of the $325 million contract that could keep Stanton tied to a new owner that would prefer to see him play elsewhere. The Marlins have reportedly agreed to the framework of trades proposed by the Giants and Cardinals already, and one could be consummated any day now.Stanton holds the leverage. He can approve or reject any trade he wishes. If he becomes a Giant, Stanton would be closer to home, though joining a hated rival would hardly be seen as a sign of loyalty to Los Angeles.“There are a lot of diehard Dodger fans who would be upset,” Dill said. “A lot of the faculty here keeps asking me (what will happen) like I know anything. I’m going to find out in the papers like everybody else.”center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more