Effective immediately, I am officially suspending Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel for his repeated failures, incompetence and neglect of duty. https://t.co/tkHzxTHhjH— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) January 11, 2019Last month, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission issued a scathing report about the Broward County Sheriff’s Department, specifying that one of Israel’s key active shooter policies may have contributed to the carnage.The commission noted that a written policy saying that Broward County deputies “may” confront active shooters, rather than “shall,” provided an excuse for not entering the school to confront the shooter.Israel, whose elected term ends in 2020, has said he would not leave office voluntarily.Responding to the commission report last month, Israel said that all Broward sheriff’s deputies completed an additional eight hours of active-shooter training, that the department has created a threat assessment unit and that it has enacted other reforms.When asked by CNN days after the shooting whether he would have done anything differently, Israel famously replied, “If ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ were candy and nuts, O.J. Simpson would still be in the record books.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Mark Wilson/Getty Images(PARKLAND, Fla.) — Florida’s new governor Ron DeSantis has suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel over his department’s much-maligned response to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting last February — which took the lives of 17 students and staff — and installed the county’s first African-American sheriff, former Coral Springs police sergeant Gregory Tony, according to official statements.On Friday evening, three days after being sworn in, DeSantis issued a tweet saying that “effective immediately, I am officially suspending Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel for his repeated failures, incompetence and neglect of duty.” The tweet linked to an executive order signed by the newly minted governor.Israel reacted shortly after the governor’s announcement, holding a press conference in which he defended his tenure and contended that he was a victim of local politics.“There was no wrongdoing on my part,” Israel said at the press conference. “I served the county honorably.”Israel said he plans to “vigorously fight this unjustified suspension” and intends to return to office soon.“This was about politics, not about Parkland,” Israel said.Among a raft of criticism, DeSantis’ executive order noted that Broward County Sheriff’s Department personnel had 21 interactions with the school shooter prior to the massacre, the first one coming in February 2016 — two years before the attack — when the shooter “posted a picture of a gun with a statement similar to, ‘I am going to get this gun when I turn 18 and shoot up school.’”Israel has been the subject of extraordinary criticism in the wake of the massacre on Valentine’s Day 2018.Last spring, about two months after the shooting spree, 534 out of 628 deputies issued a ‘no confidence’ vote in his leadership compared to 94 who voted in confidence of the sheriff, Jeff Bell, president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, told ABC News at the time.“I will not be distracted from my duties by this inconsequential … union vote, which was designed to extort a 6.5 percent pay raise from this agency,” Israel responded, in part, to the union vote.
Beau Lund FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailcmannphoto/iStock(NEW YORK) — As the number of novel coronavirus cases across the U.S. continues to grow, the NBA is said to be considering various measures in the wake of the outbreak.Sources tell ESPN the league has discussed moving games — either to the away opponent’s arena or a neutral site — if a host team’s city suffers a large number of infections.The league is also discussing more drastic measures, like eliminating fans from games or suspending operations altogether for a period of time, should the situation become more dire, according to the sources.These scenarios are likely to come up on Wednesday during the NBA’s board of governors call with the commissioner’s office. Two more calls will take place on Thursday involving team presidents and general managers, the sources told ESPN.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. Written by March 11, 2020 /Sports News – National Report: NBA discussing various measures amid coronavirus outbreak
ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Effective October 1, 2016, women’s cricketers on retainer from the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) will see an increase in their pay package. The number of women on retainer will also move from 11 to 15.An agreement between the WICB and the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) will see increases in annual retainer fees, sponsorship payments, match fees and captains’ allowances. The estimated increase will cost the WICB just under US$600 000 for the upcoming year. The new compensation package will benefit an unlimited number of non-retained players.Captain Stafanie Taylor appreciates the increase. She notes: “I believe we are stepping in the right direction. England and Australia are the two top teams where Women’s cricket is concerned and I think we can mirror what they are doing and get on their level. It’s good that the retainers and match fees have been increased and the girls love it. We hope that as time goes by more things will be improved.”Former captain Merissa Aguilleira is also happy. “I am really pleased and thankful about the increase. We have been working hard as a team with huge success. I strongly believe that an increase like this will only encourage us to work harder and continue representing the people of the Caribbean to the best of our abilities.”WICB CEO says, “We are hoping this new package (not only) will serve as an additional incentive for the current set of women, but (also) will serve as a drawing card to more women to be attracted to cricket.”WIPA president and CEO, Wavell Hinds, also thinks “our women senior team have been a solid elite performing group over the last decade, as such, the improvement and security in their compensation package is well deserved. We wish the team well for their upcoming home assignment”.West Indies women are now in camp for a home-series against England. The series will consist of five ODIs, the last three of which will count towards the ICC Women’s Championship, to be contested between October 8 and 19 at the Trelawny Multiplex and Sabina Park in Jamaica.A win in this series for the Windies women could seal a spot in the World Cup in the UK in June next year. West Indies are in second place with 20 points behind Australia. England are currently in third place.The ICC Women’s Championship, a multi-year bilateral competition, is between the top eight international women’s sides that will lead to automatic qualification for the top four teams.