Limerick TD asks for COVId-19 unemployment payment to be extended to…

first_imgMass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student population Background photo created by freepik – www.freepik.comWORKERS over the age of 66 are being penalised by the age limit on the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment according to a Limerick County elected representative who says people shouldn’t be “discriminated against because of their age”.Fianna Fáil TD for Limerick Niall Collins said his office has been receiving calls from workers over the Pandemic Unemployment Payment age threshold who are not entitled to the payment.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The allowance is currently only available to people between the ages of 18-66.Deputy Collins said, “My office has been inundated with calls from workers over the age of 66 who are annoyed that despite being an active part of the workforce, they are not entitled to the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment because they fall outside the age limitations.The Fianna Fáil TD said people who have kept working and contribute to the economy “are now being penalised by a crude decision”.“They are suffering the same financial difficulties as other workers who have lost their job as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak and its public health ramifications,” he said, adding “However, they are not getting the same level of allowance.”Deputy Collins said he recognises people can apply for the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme but doesn’t “see any reason why they should not be entitled to the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, if they had been working up until the restrictions were imposed”.The Limerick County representative has called on the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection to consider extending the current age criteria for the payment.“These people should not be discriminated against because of their age – they should be entitled to the same allowances as other workers affected by this public health emergency”, concluded Deputy Collins. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsPoliticsLimerick TD asks for COVId-19 unemployment payment to be extended to over 66sBy Cian Reinhardt – April 7, 2020 536 Email Twitter Print Linkedin Facebook TAGSCoronavirusCovid 19IrelandLimerick City and CountyNational center_img ‘Everything tells us we are moving forward’ Advertisement Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region Institute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions WhatsApp Previous articleThe Easter Bunny given the green light for this weekendNext articleQUIZ: Name the Limerick team defeated Waterford in the 2010 NFL Final Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions last_img read more

Mahmudullah fifty guides Bangladesh to tri-series final

first_imgCHITTAGONG, BANGLADESH (AFP) – Mahmudullah struck a quick-fire half-century as Bangladesh beat Zimbabwe by 39 runs to qualify for the final of their Twenty20 tri-series in Chittagong yesterday.The hosts will face Afghanistan in the final on Tuesday in Dhaka, while Zimbabwe will finish their campaign against the same opponents on Friday.Riding on Mahmudullah’s 62 off 41 balls, Bangladesh posted 175-7 – the side’s highest total against Zimbabwe in Twenty20s – before pacer Shafiul Islam and debutant leg-spinner Aminul Islam shared five wickets to bowl out Zimbabwe for 136.Shafiul, playing his first Twenty20 international in nearly two years, claimed 3-36 while teenager Aminul also impressed, taking 2-18.Mustafizur Rahman also took two wickets in the final over to finish with 2-38 as Bangladesh condemned Zimbabwe to their third consecutive defeat in the tournament, ending their chances of playing in the final.Bangladesh took the upper hand in the game when Mohammad Saifuddin and Shakib Al Hasan struck in the first two overs before Shafiul reduced Zimbabwe to 8-3.Zimbabwe soon slumped to 66-7, a position from where they never recovered despite some late blows by Richmond Mutumbami and Kyle Jarvis.Mutumbami hit 54 off 32 balls, his maiden Twenty20 international fifty, with four fours and three sixes, while Jarvis added 27 off 20 balls, but they could never put Bangladesh under pressure.Mahmudullah earlier led Bangladesh’s batting charge with his fourth Twenty20 international fifty, which featured one four and five sixes.Sent into bat first, opener Liton Das made 38 off 22 and put on 49 runs with debutant Najmul Hossain to give Bangladesh a positive start.Neville Madziva took a stunning catch off Chris Mpofu at short third man to end Liton’s innings and Bangladesh were soon 65-3.Mahmudullah and Mushfiqur Rahim (32) added 78 for the fourth wicket to set up a possible score of close to 200 runs but Zimbabwe halted Bangladesh’s progress with late strikes.“We started well with the bat but couldn’t finish the innings the way we wanted. That’s an area we can improve. Bowlers backed it up brilliantly,” said Bangladesh skipper Shakib.Jarvis, who claimed 3-32, removed Mahmudullah and Mosaddek Hossain in consecutive deliveries in the final over to create a chance of a hat-trick.Mohammad Saifuddin hit six runs off the final two balls to ensure Bangladesh posted a strong total.Zimbabwe captain Hamilton Masakadza lamented his side’s batting in the first 10 overs.“If you lose half your side within 10 overs, you’re always behind the game,” he said.last_img read more

Hunt, Gulley display Syracuse’s success in zone-read running in loss to Maryland

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ If there were any offensive bright spots in Syracuse’s (2-1) 34-20 loss to Maryland (3-1) on Saturday afternoon, they were the legs of Terrel Hunt and Prince-Tyson Gulley.The Orange offense collected 589 yards of total offense — which were nullified by poor red-zone execution and a host of penalties — and Hunt and Gulley combined for 294 yards on the ground. The pair mostly ran out of the zone-read offense, with Hunt either faking to Gulley and running in the other direction or feeding to Gulley if there was room in front.During training camp, offensive coordinator George McDonald said that Syracuse was a run-first team and he reiterated that after the loss. But Hunt’s ejection against Villanova rendered the running game ineffective and SU’s steamrolling of Central Michigan disguised any definitive offensive scheme.That leaves the two-touchdown loss to the Terrapins as the Orange’s offensive barometer, and it hinted to what SU could lean on when it faces No. 8 Notre Dame on Saturday.“I was just playing the game. Sometimes I would read something and if it wasn’t open, I’ll hitch out,” Hunt said. “I knew they were blitzing from a certain side so they were weak on that side so I just took off and tried to make something happen.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn Syracuse’s 40-3 win over the Chippewas, Hunt was successful with his arm and legs and the running game was highlighted by freshman Ervin Philips and senior Adonis Ameen-Moore.But Gulley took a bulk of the carries and Hunt ran almost as often as he threw against the Terrapins, with the quarterback finishing the game with 23 rushes for 156 yards and two rushing touchdowns.“It’s part of being a quarterback. If you can run, why not run,” Hunt said. “If I can help my team out in any way, try to help us win, if I rush for 30, pass for 400, either way, a win is a win. I don’t care.”With 14 carries, Gulley was the only other SU player to rush more than 10 times. Ameen-Moore ran nine times for 68 yards. Gulley ran for 138 yards and 9.9 yards per carry with a 39-yard-long run mixed in.Senior offensive tackle Sean Hickey said that Gulley is easy to block for because he hits holes quickly. It’s his fast first step and small-space explosiveness that led to a 19-yard rush on Syracuse’s first scoring drive, and the 39-yard run that helped move Syracuse into the red zone before the half.“We thought we paved the holes pretty well and he just goes right through it,” Hickey said. “When you give backs like that that space, they make those plays.”Syracuse didn’t give up any sacks, committed no turnovers and had fewer penalties against Villanova and Central Michigan. Each issue surfaced when the competition got tougher on Saturday.McDonald said that Syracuse won’t always be the most athletic team on the field. And with the Maryland game as a more realistic sample size — Syracuse ran 51 times and threw 28 — the offense, successful or not, is reliant on the ground, especially with games against Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State in the next three weeks.Said McDonald: “At the end of the day we’re always going to be a running team.” Comments Published on September 22, 2014 at 12:11 am Contact Jesse: [email protected] | @dougherty_jesselast_img read more