Boy found child porn material on laptop

first_imgNewsLocal NewsBoy found child porn material on laptopBy admin – May 25, 2012 1454 A13-year-old boy found child rape movies on his laptop after he loaned it to a 45-year-old UK national in 2010, to use while his own was broken.  The revelation unfolded as Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Det Garda, Christine Bergin in the case against Simeon Betts, a man charged with the possession of 50 child pornographic movies and nine images on three laptops that were seized from his possession in 2010.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The material found was said to have been at the “utmost end of the scale” and of the “horrendous” exploitation of children where some as young as four years of age were raped by adults and animals.Betts, with an address at Henry Street, Limerick, pleaded guilty to the possession of the images and movie files, having first denied the allegation in a lengthy interview conducted by gardai at a house in Hollymount, Raheen in March 2010. Det Gda Bergin and other members of the force raided the home of the accused under search warrant after receiving certain information from Interpol and the UK based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP). Analysis of the material found on the computers was carried out by specialist agencies where Det Garda Bergin enlisted the help of up to six different investigation units including Interpol and CEOP. Betts was charged in July 2010 and made admissions at the time of charge.At his sentencing hearing on the final day of term of Limerick Circuit Court, Simeon Betts said nothing as he sat in the dock as evidence and detailed descriptions of the search terms, files and images were given to the court. Acting on the information received by Interpol, the gardai obtained a search warrant and went to the home of the accused on March 4, 2010. Betts’ place of work, his cars, a campervan and another address in county Limerick that he had access to, were searched and a number of items were seized for analysis. The material found was linked to three laptops seized – one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the garage attached to the home. Betts admitted, in interview, to knowingly having the material in his possession,All three had been used to view and access the content which was described in court and one computer was actively used to search the internet for child pornography where Betts would masturbate to movies and images “as a means to satisfy his desire” according to Defence Counsel, Mark Nicholas who added in mitigation that this must have been a “horrible situation to be in but he {Betts} made admissions and takes full responsibility for his actions. He’s in deep distress and wants to engage help”.Betts, the court heard was later arrested in July 2010 and during the course of four interviews held, he made full admissions as to his interest in such material. During one such interview, the accused man admitted to being sexually aroused while viewing the material online. He also admitted to borrowing a laptop from a 13-year-old boy and used it to search for child pornography. The laptop had been returned to the boy some time later and the child pornographic material with movies of children as young as four years of age being raped, was returned to the boy. The files had not been deleted. The court heard from Det Gda Bergin that the teenager informed both gardai and his mother as to the content of the material found. Since the charges were brought against the accused, Betts is now unemployed but had previously worked in a card and birthdays shop, a gift store in the city centre as well as the Early Learning Centre. The father of four, who admitted to having “felt bad knowing that a child suffered while he watched the movies, is now said to have very restricted access to his children and had tried to “suppress” his desires to seek out the material.Betts, with previous convictions for minor road traffic offences and who is on bail with a daily sign on requirement, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Judge Carroll Moran was handed a report conducted by clinical psychologist Dr Patrick Ryan who said that Betts had an insight into his problem but was “not out of the woods yet”. The Judge adjourned sentencing until June 8 stating that it was a “difficult case” that needs his full consideration in sentencing. Advertisement Twitter Email WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Print Previous articleLimerick Footballers can improveNext articleThe Bad Plus on original ground admin Facebooklast_img read more

Limerick TD asks for COVId-19 unemployment payment to be extended to…

first_imgMass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student population Background photo created by freepik – www.freepik.comWORKERS over the age of 66 are being penalised by the age limit on the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment according to a Limerick County elected representative who says people shouldn’t be “discriminated against because of their age”.Fianna Fáil TD for Limerick Niall Collins said his office has been receiving calls from workers over the Pandemic Unemployment Payment age threshold who are not entitled to the payment.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The allowance is currently only available to people between the ages of 18-66.Deputy Collins said, “My office has been inundated with calls from workers over the age of 66 who are annoyed that despite being an active part of the workforce, they are not entitled to the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment because they fall outside the age limitations.The Fianna Fáil TD said people who have kept working and contribute to the economy “are now being penalised by a crude decision”.“They are suffering the same financial difficulties as other workers who have lost their job as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak and its public health ramifications,” he said, adding “However, they are not getting the same level of allowance.”Deputy Collins said he recognises people can apply for the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme but doesn’t “see any reason why they should not be entitled to the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, if they had been working up until the restrictions were imposed”.The Limerick County representative has called on the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection to consider extending the current age criteria for the payment.“These people should not be discriminated against because of their age – they should be entitled to the same allowances as other workers affected by this public health emergency”, concluded Deputy Collins. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsPoliticsLimerick TD asks for COVId-19 unemployment payment to be extended to over 66sBy Cian Reinhardt – April 7, 2020 536 Email Twitter Print Linkedin Facebook TAGSCoronavirusCovid 19IrelandLimerick City and CountyNational center_img ‘Everything tells us we are moving forward’ Advertisement Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region Institute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions WhatsApp Previous articleThe Easter Bunny given the green light for this weekendNext articleQUIZ: Name the Limerick team defeated Waterford in the 2010 NFL Final Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions last_img read more

Lettuce Brought Their Inimitable Psychedelic Funk To Brooklyn Bowl For Two Awesome Shows [Recap/Gallery]

first_imgLoad remaining images Photo: Andrew Blackstein Lettuce is a changed band. While they’ve always been an incredibly funky and tight musical powerhouse, the fact remains that they have developed a new, more psychedelic style as of late. Given their road warrior status over the past two years, it makes sense that the band would push things in new directions. However, I’m not sure anyone was prepared for the full-band attack that went down at Brooklyn Bowl over the past two nights. Lettuce was off the charts during their two-night stand at The Bowl, delivering amazing songs, ambitious improvisation, and an infectious energy that was simply undeniable.It’s important to note that this is a band that truly feeds off each other. Jesus Coomes holds it down tremendously on the bass, connecting with each member of the band as he provides the ultimate rhythm. His solid playing allows for drummer Adam Deitch to stretch things out, weaving between different styles and pushing the band into new directions at every turn. A great example of this was on “Phyllis”, which got the treatment on night two, moving from funk to drum ‘n’ bass to go-go and then back again as perhaps the standout improvisational tune of the run.With Eric Krasno and Neal Evans nowhere in sight, Adam “Shmeeans” Smirnoff and Nigel Hall were let loose on the crowd, and they seriously brought it. Shmeeans is one of the best (if not THE best) rhythm guitar players in the business, but his emergence as a lead man in Lettuce is truly impressive. His solos were sublime, and his jamming skills are top notch. Hall, a former guest vocalist of the band who was relegated to a few songs per evening, has been showcasing keyboard skills that not many knew he had. His creative and on-point playing has breathed new life into Lettuce. Of course, he still showcased his awesome vocals, with excellent covers of “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears and “Express Yourself” by Charles Wright, as well as high-energy takes on “Sounds Like A Party” and “Do It Like You Do”.At this point, there’s no hiding that The Shady Horns are Lettuce’s secret weapon, their ace in the hole that completes the band’s sound. Ryan Zoidis and Eric “Benny” Bloom are certainly an odd couple, with Bloom a ball of explosive energy while Zoidis is probably the coolest customer in the band. When paired together, these two are the perfect yin and yang, and songs like “Squadlive” and “Lettsanity” wouldn’t be the same without this dynamic duo. Each night, Hall made sure to shout out Zoidis and Bloom and give them a small feature, and it proved to be some of the most exciting moments of the run. Their creative approach and locked-in attitudes are unrivaled, especially Zoidis’ work with his effects pedals during the band’s several moments of improv. When Maurice “Mobetta” Brown hopped on stage towards the end of night two, he and Bloom had a field day chasing each other’s tails, pushing each other to new heights with each note played.Check out full audio from night two, courtesy of taper Matt Moricle.All in all, Lettuce continues to push themselves in new directions, and it’s totally exciting to watch them grow into these new musical spaces. The band is on fire, and if these two nights at Brooklyn Bowl were any indication, their upcoming winter and spring tour dates should be must-see events. See their full schedule here.See below for setlists from both nights nights of Lettuce at Brooklyn Bowl, as well as a gallery courtesy of photographer Andrew Scott Blackstein.Lettuce | Brooklyn Bowl | Brooklyn, NY | 1/3/2017Set One: Blast Off, The Dump, Yakatori, Purple Cabbage, Go-Go (with Juicy tease), Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Slippin, Squadlive, Madison Square, Express Yourself, Remember The Children, The ForceEncore: Sounds Like A PartyLettuce | Brooklyn Bowl | Brooklyn, NY | 1/4/2017Set One: Mt. Crushmore (w/ Evil Wu tease), Salute, Fly, Suppit, Phyllis, Back In Effect, Does Your Mama Know, Ready To Live, Blaze, Lettsanity, Trillogy, Chief, By Any Shmeeans NecessaryEncore: Do It Like You Dolast_img read more