Boy found child porn material on laptop

first_imgNewsLocal NewsBoy found child porn material on laptopBy admin – May 25, 2012 1454 A13-year-old boy found child rape movies on his laptop after he loaned it to a 45-year-old UK national in 2010, to use while his own was broken.  The revelation unfolded as Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Det Garda, Christine Bergin in the case against Simeon Betts, a man charged with the possession of 50 child pornographic movies and nine images on three laptops that were seized from his possession in 2010.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The material found was said to have been at the “utmost end of the scale” and of the “horrendous” exploitation of children where some as young as four years of age were raped by adults and animals.Betts, with an address at Henry Street, Limerick, pleaded guilty to the possession of the images and movie files, having first denied the allegation in a lengthy interview conducted by gardai at a house in Hollymount, Raheen in March 2010. Det Gda Bergin and other members of the force raided the home of the accused under search warrant after receiving certain information from Interpol and the UK based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP). Analysis of the material found on the computers was carried out by specialist agencies where Det Garda Bergin enlisted the help of up to six different investigation units including Interpol and CEOP. Betts was charged in July 2010 and made admissions at the time of charge.At his sentencing hearing on the final day of term of Limerick Circuit Court, Simeon Betts said nothing as he sat in the dock as evidence and detailed descriptions of the search terms, files and images were given to the court. Acting on the information received by Interpol, the gardai obtained a search warrant and went to the home of the accused on March 4, 2010. Betts’ place of work, his cars, a campervan and another address in county Limerick that he had access to, were searched and a number of items were seized for analysis. The material found was linked to three laptops seized – one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the garage attached to the home. Betts admitted, in interview, to knowingly having the material in his possession,All three had been used to view and access the content which was described in court and one computer was actively used to search the internet for child pornography where Betts would masturbate to movies and images “as a means to satisfy his desire” according to Defence Counsel, Mark Nicholas who added in mitigation that this must have been a “horrible situation to be in but he {Betts} made admissions and takes full responsibility for his actions. He’s in deep distress and wants to engage help”.Betts, the court heard was later arrested in July 2010 and during the course of four interviews held, he made full admissions as to his interest in such material. During one such interview, the accused man admitted to being sexually aroused while viewing the material online. He also admitted to borrowing a laptop from a 13-year-old boy and used it to search for child pornography. The laptop had been returned to the boy some time later and the child pornographic material with movies of children as young as four years of age being raped, was returned to the boy. The files had not been deleted. The court heard from Det Gda Bergin that the teenager informed both gardai and his mother as to the content of the material found. Since the charges were brought against the accused, Betts is now unemployed but had previously worked in a card and birthdays shop, a gift store in the city centre as well as the Early Learning Centre. The father of four, who admitted to having “felt bad knowing that a child suffered while he watched the movies, is now said to have very restricted access to his children and had tried to “suppress” his desires to seek out the material.Betts, with previous convictions for minor road traffic offences and who is on bail with a daily sign on requirement, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Judge Carroll Moran was handed a report conducted by clinical psychologist Dr Patrick Ryan who said that Betts had an insight into his problem but was “not out of the woods yet”. The Judge adjourned sentencing until June 8 stating that it was a “difficult case” that needs his full consideration in sentencing. Advertisement Twitter Email WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Print Previous articleLimerick Footballers can improveNext articleThe Bad Plus on original ground admin Facebooklast_img read more

A typical work-from-home lunch: crisps

first_imgRelated posts: Photo: Shutterstock A study of UK home workers has revealed that, despite the benefit of being able to rustle something up in their own kitchens, workers are are being less productive with cooking utensils than they are on their PCs.Research released today by online food order and delivery service Just Eat has found that a third of people working from home (34%) say their lunch has declined in quality with more than a third (39%) opting for just a packet of crisps on most daysA further 6% have resorted to eating cold baked beans straight from the can.Clearly, trips to the canteen, local delis and restaurants with colleagues are not only being missed for their social potential; their nutritional benefits are also being sidestepped.Many respondents (30%) said they usually just had a cup of coffee, while a similar proportion said they relied on instant noodles. Ready-meals might have their critics but against this backdrop the 19% who said they had them every day for lunch appear to be positively orthorexic.Wellbeing during lockdownHealth conscious – does a fit workforce mean a happy workplace?More than a quarter eating less healthily during lockdownBiscuits (27%), bars of chocolate (30%), potato waffles cooked in the toaster (6%) and jam on toast (17%) comprised other midday meals termed “uninspiring” by Just Eat, according to the 1,500 surveyed. Although, based on the potato waffles cooking method, Personnel Today believes what they lack in nutrition they make up for with innovation.About three quarters of respondents (70%) said they missed their office-based lunch options, while 81% conceded that working from home had meant their lunches were duller than ever.Despite their devotion to low quality meals only 13% of home workers told researchers they ate the same lunch every day.Surprisingly, considering they are probably the easiest lunch to replicate at home, deli-made sandwiches topped the list of lunches home workers were pining for (38%). The lack of availability of burritos (23%), sushi (19%) and noodle bowls (22%) was also deeply lamented.Just Eat commissioned the study to mark its new tie-in with Pret A Manger’s free delivery service.Managing director UK at Just Eat Andrew Kenny said: “It’s clear that lunchtime enjoyment has taken a hit and so I’m delighted our free London delivery on Pret A Manger is available to bring back some of the joy of an office lunch to our customers’ homes.”One home worker, a schools careers adviser, told Personnel Today: “It’s true: people I’ve spoken to all say the same – they’re having tiny lunches. I just have toast, but the benefit is that you can have it whenever you like and use the lunch hour or breaks for other activities  – you’re not bound by the unspoken rule you must eat at 1pm and feel sleepy at 3.30pm.”The study found that 13% skipped lunch everyday because they could not think of anything that takes their fancy and 19% said having lunch at home was the worst part of home working.The findings run counter to evidence that homeworking has seen an explosion of people attending outdoor and streamed fitness classes and high sales of indoor gym equipment. But it perhaps does correspond with surging sales of alcohol for home consumption.It appears that when it comes to our daily health, the UK’s homeworkers have not adopted an entirely holistic approach.Latest HR job opportunities on Personnel TodayBrowse more human resources jobs No comments yet. Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.Comment Name (required) Email (will not be published) (required) Website Previous Article Next Articlecenter_img A typical work-from-home lunch: crispsBy Adam McCulloch on 24 Aug 2020 in Working from home, Latest News, Personnel Today HR in a pandemic: How three companies dealt with a surge in demandFor organisations up and down the country, Covid-19 has put considerable strain on HR. Many in the profession are facing…last_img read more

Sherwood: Vlaar wants Villa stay

first_img Now the manager himself has given Villa fans firmer suggestions the former captain could stay. “I’ve told Ron I want him to stay and he’s said he wants to,” said the Villa boss. “So his representatives are going to talk the club and I’m confident something can be done. Are we close? Well, put it this way, we’re not a million pounds away! “He’s a man who is quite rightly in demand but I can see him being here next season. “Ron’s going to have a lot of options. He’s not long come back from a World Cup where he had a really good tournament.” Sherwood is well aware of ‘Concrete Ron’s’ importance to the team. “He’s indicated to me that he’s happy and I’m thinking exactly the same way, so I’m sure it will get done,” he said. “Our best results have come when Ron is playing. He’s a great character to have around and has a very calming influence.” Holland international Vlaar had looked increasingly likely to leave Villa Park when his contract expires this summer to join a bigger club. Manchester United have been most strongly linked with the centre-half, but Vlaar hinted recently that Sherwood’s impact as manager could convince him to stay. Tim Sherwood has revealed in-demand defender Ron Vlaar has told him he wants to stay at Aston Villa. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more