Kurdish security forces interrogated five journalists who braved a ban on travelling to the Iraqi-Turkish border while the editor of the weekly Hawlati is facing a year in prison for “defamation” after a complaint by Iraqi president, Jalal Talabani. February 4, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Kurdish journalists face up to fresh challenges Organisation Follow the news on Iraq RSF_en December 28, 2020 Find out more Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Five journalists were stopped and questioned by Kurdish security forces after braving a ban on travel to Iraq’s border with Turkey, while the trial opened today of the editor of the independent weekly Hawlati, Abid Aref, accused of defaming President Jalal Tabani, for which he faces up to one year in prison.“We urge the authorities to take a stronger line in favour of press freedom,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “Speeches are not enough. Journalists who cover the news must have their rights protected.”“The passing of a new information law, still being examined by the regional parliament, will be a crucial first step for the future of the media in Kurdistan”, it added. Security forces arrested five journalists on 1st February near the Sengeser control post, in Suleimaniyah province, as they returned from the Kandil mountains on the Iraqi-Turkish border. Rahman Gharib (photo) was mistreated after he tried to resist the police. News December 16, 2020 Find out more News RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Help by sharing this information “We went there the evening before to meet people who are suffering from Turkish bombing. We saw that much of the infrastructure – including schools and hospitals – has been destroyed. We interviewed the residents of isolated villages and took photos of the damage”, the journalist told Reporters Without Borders.They were arrested as they tried to rejoin several colleagues who were waiting for them. Rahman Gharib, Bayez Mohammed, of Hawlati, Salam Abdallah, of the website Kurdistan Post, and freelance journalists Kerwan Salar and Mohammed Çawsin were questioned briefly. Surwan Omar, of the news agency Kurdistan News, was beaten by police when he tried to approach the group.Elsewhere, a defamation case brought by President Jalal Talabani against the editor of Hawlati opened today at a court in Suleimaniyah, 330 km north of Baghdad. Abid Aref faces up to one year in prison for carrying a report on 13 January by US researcher Michael Rubin of the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, which was highly critical of several Kurdish figures, including the Iraqi head of state. The journalist was released after paying bail of one million Dinars (about 558 Euros) and the trial was postponed to a later date, not yet announced. Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” IraqMiddle East – North Africa February 15, 2021 Find out more News News Receive email alerts IraqMiddle East – North Africa to go further
New Music: 40Hurtz Advertisement TAGScity hallgraffitiMusic Limerickrsu armed garda Email Previous articleThief arrived to court with stolen cosmeticsNext articleNew legislation to help protect children against sexual abuse Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin WhatsApp Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] members of the Garda Regional Response Unit were called to City Hall last Thursday morning after what was described as “threatening graffiti” was discovered daubed on an external wall of the local authority headquarters.Gardaí are reviewing CCTV footage and continuing their investigations on the basis that the material was of an offensive nature and indirect threats had been made against persons.The black text graffiti was immediately covered up by council workers who used plastic sheets and wooden battens to prevent the material been seen by members of the public and visitors to the area.A senior Garda source said that the graffiti daubed on the wall of the Council building was being treated very seriously.It read, “Dear Karma, I have a list of people that you missed”. It was signed MIB.The operation to remove the text had been hampered due to the type of residue left by the paint.It is understood that the wall cannot be sandblasted to remove the graffiti.Costs to remove the offensive material are estimated to be over €2,000 but the area has been painted temporarily to hide the graffiti. Print #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy NewsInvestigation launched after threatening graffiti daubed on City HallBy Staff Reporter – December 17, 2013 1440 Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Twitter Facebook
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » I’m asking this question to highlight an enforcement action announced by the CFPB yesterday against several companies which, if the allegations are true, blatantly violated several sections of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) by obtaining credit reports under false pretenses and passing them around like stewardesses passing out airline peanuts. I want to highlight the case not only because of its accusations, but because I wanted to provide you an ever so gentle reminder to use your credit reports consistent with the reasons you obtained them in the first place.15 U.S.C. 1681b(f) permits entities to obtain prescreened credit reports provided that the individuals who qualify under the criteria will receive a firm offer of credit. A “firm offer” is an offer that will be honored subject to certain exceptions. The bottom line is that credit reports are not to be used simply to facilitate marketing, but are instead to be used for legitimate underwriting purposes.The lawsuit that the CFPB announced yesterday is against several companies, ranging from a mortgage broker to a student loan debt consolidator to a mortgage lender that apparent did not get this memo. For instance, Monster Loans obtained prescreened lists from Experian, ostensibly to offer mortgage loans. There would, of course, be nothing wrong with this if that was all that Monster Loans used these lists for. However, Monster Loans subsequently distributed these lists to third parties, including an entity that specialized in student loan debt consolidation.
Mexico, which has been gradually easing a nationwide lockdown that began at the end of March, confirmed this week that more than 40,000 people had died of the coronavirus, among the highest death tolls in the world.With families stuck at home under official lockdowns for months to halt the spread of the virus, tensions over household chores coupled with economic fears after nationwide job losses are more likely to escalate into violence.The constant time together makes already-aggressive men more likely to lash out, and the majority of women seeking help had already experienced some form of violence before the pandemic, said Wendy Figueroa, head of the National Network of Shelters.”COVID awoke situations of violence that were camouflaged, hidden,” Figueroa told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. “During this lockdown, the violence gets stronger.” Topics : Attacks against women have surged across Latin America during the pandemic.The region is home to 14 of the 25 countries with the world’s highest rates of femicide – when a woman is killed because of her gender, which claims the lives of a dozen women per day in Latin America, according to the United Nations.In Mexico, emergency calls reporting attacks on women in Mexico jumped more than 50% in the first four months of the year compared with the same period last year, government data shows.The National Network of Shelters said overall, including by phone and social media, it had helped more than 20,000 people during the pandemic, an increase of 71% compared to the same period last year.Nearly half the calls and messages received by the group during lockdown had come from Mexico City, which has also been among the hardest hit areas by the pandemic.More than 500 children and adolescents received by the shelter network had been victims of sexual violence, the group said. Four out of 10 women who sought help from the group had experienced physical violence. The number of women and children seeking help at shelters for victims of violence has surged by more than 80% in Mexico under the coronavirus lockdown, according to the country’s largest network of shelters for victims of violence.The National Network of Shelters, which includes about 69 refuges across Mexico, also said the number of calls and texts it had received about family or gender-based violence had risen by 55% between March and June compared to a year ago.”Women in Mexico are facing two pandemics: COVID-19 and family violence,” the group said in a statement.
Florida State quarterback and Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston, center, directs campers where to go at the start of the Manning Passing Academy on the Nicholls State University campus in Thibodaux, La., Thursday, July 10, 2014. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State teammate Chris Casher were held at gunpoint by campus police nearly two years ago while hunting squirrels with a pellet gun, police say.Officer Anthony Gioannetti responded to a call and found the pair near a campus bike path with a long-barreled pistol. He drew his gun, pointed it at the players and shouted several times for them to get on the ground.One of the players dropped the gun and Gioannetti kept his weapon drawn until another officer handcuffed the players. The officers then determined the pistol was a pellet gun.“They said they were shooting at squirrels along the bike trail,” Gioannetti wrote in his report. The gun was confiscated and the players were released with no charges.The November 2012 incident was reported by USA Today on Wednesday. Contacted after the report, Winston said, “Sorry sir, I’m not talking about that.”When contacted by The Associated Press to comment, Casher originally hung up. But he called back and wanted to know why this was being reported now. He then used obscenities as he criticized USA Today for running the report.Earlier this year, Winston was issued a civil citation after sheriff’s deputies said he walked out of a supermarket without paying for $32 worth of crab legs and crawfish.And last year, he was investigated for allegations that he had raped a woman in December 2012. A prosecutor declined to charge him, citing a lack of evidence and gaps in the accuser’s story.___Follow Brendan Farrington on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bsfarrington
Facebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston County Auditor’s OfficeOn September 25, the Thurston County Auditor’s Office will join a massive 50-state effort to register voters before Election Day as part of National Voter Registration Day (NVRD). The Auditor’s Office encourages eligible voters to register online (MyVote.wa.gov) or at one of the many registration drives being held around the county.The Auditor’s Office is partnering with local colleges and high schools, as well as nonprofit organizations in the county to help register voters. Contact us:By phone: 360.786.5408In person: 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Building 1 Room 118 Olympia, WA 98502Online: [email protected] ThurstonVotes.orgAdditionally, voters are encouraged to show their civic pride by posting selfies with the official hashtag #NationalVoterRegistrationDay on their social media accounts.If voters have questions about their eligibility to vote, please contact the Auditor’s Office Elections division.Featured photo credit: Diane Waiste
This is the 36th time in 38 years Mount Sentinel has advanced to the provincial tournament.The school twice failed to get out of the zone in 1997 and 2010.It should be noted that in 2010 we lost to Fernie in five (games), but that team is just as memorable as all others and they worked just as hard,” Moreira explained.“I am as proud of their commitment and work ethic as I am of the teams that have been provincial champions.”In the 38 years, Mount Sentinel has hosted the provincials tournament 10 times, winning the BC crown four times and finishing second in three events.The Wildcats have won the bronze medal seven times giving the school 14 provincial medals.Moreira said the provincial ranking should be out sometime Monday.He is expecting the Cats to be ranked third behind host Immaculata of Kelowna and Langley Christian.The provincial tournament is being played November 27-29 in Kelowna. For the for fourth straight season the Mount Sentinel Wildcats will represent the Kootenay zone at the BC High School A Girl’s Volleyball Championships.The Wildcats dusted off the Fernie Falcons in straight sets during the best-of-five final to capture the zone title at the Kootenay High School A Girl’s Volleyball Tournament Saturday in Castlegar at Selkirk College Gymnasium.Mount Sentinel defeated the Falcons 25-13, 25-13, 25-17.“The tournament was not our best performance . . . we didn’t drop a set but we played like we had an elephant on our backs through the entire tournament,” said Mount Sentinel head coach Joe Moreira.Mount Sentinel, the top ranked team entering the tournament, breezed through the round robin draw defeating Fernie, Friday in front of the student body at the South Slocan-based gymnasium, before getting past Boundary Central of Midway and Sparwood.“Our best, but not real clean, was the final,” Moreira confessed.