Boy found child porn material on laptop

first_imgNewsLocal NewsBoy found child porn material on laptopBy admin – May 25, 2012 1454 A13-year-old boy found child rape movies on his laptop after he loaned it to a 45-year-old UK national in 2010, to use while his own was broken.  The revelation unfolded as Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Det Garda, Christine Bergin in the case against Simeon Betts, a man charged with the possession of 50 child pornographic movies and nine images on three laptops that were seized from his possession in 2010.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The material found was said to have been at the “utmost end of the scale” and of the “horrendous” exploitation of children where some as young as four years of age were raped by adults and animals.Betts, with an address at Henry Street, Limerick, pleaded guilty to the possession of the images and movie files, having first denied the allegation in a lengthy interview conducted by gardai at a house in Hollymount, Raheen in March 2010. Det Gda Bergin and other members of the force raided the home of the accused under search warrant after receiving certain information from Interpol and the UK based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP). Analysis of the material found on the computers was carried out by specialist agencies where Det Garda Bergin enlisted the help of up to six different investigation units including Interpol and CEOP. Betts was charged in July 2010 and made admissions at the time of charge.At his sentencing hearing on the final day of term of Limerick Circuit Court, Simeon Betts said nothing as he sat in the dock as evidence and detailed descriptions of the search terms, files and images were given to the court. Acting on the information received by Interpol, the gardai obtained a search warrant and went to the home of the accused on March 4, 2010. Betts’ place of work, his cars, a campervan and another address in county Limerick that he had access to, were searched and a number of items were seized for analysis. The material found was linked to three laptops seized – one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the garage attached to the home. Betts admitted, in interview, to knowingly having the material in his possession,All three had been used to view and access the content which was described in court and one computer was actively used to search the internet for child pornography where Betts would masturbate to movies and images “as a means to satisfy his desire” according to Defence Counsel, Mark Nicholas who added in mitigation that this must have been a “horrible situation to be in but he {Betts} made admissions and takes full responsibility for his actions. He’s in deep distress and wants to engage help”.Betts, the court heard was later arrested in July 2010 and during the course of four interviews held, he made full admissions as to his interest in such material. During one such interview, the accused man admitted to being sexually aroused while viewing the material online. He also admitted to borrowing a laptop from a 13-year-old boy and used it to search for child pornography. The laptop had been returned to the boy some time later and the child pornographic material with movies of children as young as four years of age being raped, was returned to the boy. The files had not been deleted. The court heard from Det Gda Bergin that the teenager informed both gardai and his mother as to the content of the material found. Since the charges were brought against the accused, Betts is now unemployed but had previously worked in a card and birthdays shop, a gift store in the city centre as well as the Early Learning Centre. The father of four, who admitted to having “felt bad knowing that a child suffered while he watched the movies, is now said to have very restricted access to his children and had tried to “suppress” his desires to seek out the material.Betts, with previous convictions for minor road traffic offences and who is on bail with a daily sign on requirement, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Judge Carroll Moran was handed a report conducted by clinical psychologist Dr Patrick Ryan who said that Betts had an insight into his problem but was “not out of the woods yet”. The Judge adjourned sentencing until June 8 stating that it was a “difficult case” that needs his full consideration in sentencing. Advertisement Twitter Email WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Print Previous articleLimerick Footballers can improveNext articleThe Bad Plus on original ground admin Facebooklast_img read more

Environmental education

first_imgWhether a classroom is virtual, at home or in a brick-and-mortar school, learning can happen anywhere. The Georgia 4-H Environmental Education Program uses nature as a classroom for students across the Southeast. Offered at all five 4-H centers across Georgia, this research-based education program is taught in the unique ecosystems of Georgia, from the mountains, through the piedmont and to the sea. Wahsega 4-H Center is in the north Georgia mountains of Dahlonega, Fortson 4-H Center is just south of Atlanta in Hampton, Rock Eagle 4-H Center is in the heartland of Georgia in Eatonton, Burton 4-H Center is just outside Savannah on Tybee Island, and Jekyll Island 4-H Center is on the barrier island of Georgia known as “Georgia’s Jewel.”Taking education outsideWhether they are enrolled in public, private, virtual or home-based schools, students can take advantage of these experiential learning opportunities from September through May of each school year. The EE program serves kindergarten through 12th grade youths, as well as the teachers, leaders and chaperones that attend. Experiences range in length from two hours to several days. Each 4-H center has lodging and a full-service dining hall. A typical three-day/two-night field study includes seven meals, two nights of lodging and approximately 16 hours of education. EE programs are not typical educational experiences. At one coastal site, students learn marsh ecology by walking into the marsh to feel detritus, hold fiddler crabs and see rare birds like the wood stork or the roseate spoonbill. In the piedmont, students experience life as a pioneer by using pioneer tools, playing pioneer games and visiting historic sites. In the mountains, a stream ecology lesson takes students into a cool mountain stream to sample and identify macro-invertebrates. Each center provides a different experienceWhile each 4-H center provides programming that is unique to its ecosystem, each program shares a common standard for excellence maintaining correlations to the Georgia Performance Standards. The EE program brings school concepts to life and connects students to nature by using nature as a classroom without walls. While the programs emphasize the sciences, lessons also complement history/social studies, language arts and mathematics and promote team building, skill development, communication and relationship building. In its rich 31-year history, the EE program has served close to 900,000 youths. The program reaches a large number of students but the student-to-instructor ratios are kept low, typically at 15:1 or even less. These small learning groups allow students to connect and interact with adults in ways that are not offered in typical school settings. Georgia 4-H EE also recognizes that every child has a unique learning style and that by presenting new information and concepts in a variety of ways (including visual, auditory and kinesthetic formats) students are more likely to succeed and benefit from the programming. For more information on Georgia 4-H EE, see the website www.georgia4h.org/ee or contact Melanie Biersmith, Georgia 4-H specialist, at (706) 484-2800.last_img read more

New Affordable Housing Model for Vermont Towns

first_imgWest Rutland, May 2, 2008- NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, a non-profit housing organization, has designed a complete housing program model that will help small towns across Vermont develop quality affordable housing for working families.The model, named Westmont, shows communities from start to finish how to go from simply talking about affordable housing through the process to actually develop, create, and construct affordable housing.The basic design for as Westmont home is centered on functionality and energy efficiency, and was drafted by architect Dan Pratt of Robert Carl Williams Associates, in Pittsfield, Vermont. Dans floor plan for the Westmont house maximized space and allowed for the expansion of bedrooms without increasing the size of the footprint of the house, said Gregg Over, construction manager at NWWVT. These are high quality homes. The home is styled as a two story Cape Cod home with 1,400 square feet. The floor plan utilizes space for maximum living area. The homes have three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and can easily be expanded to have up to five bedrooms. They are Energy Star rated, and follow Smart Growth and green construction principles to keep the natural beauty of Vermont intact while allowing Vermonters to own their own homes in the most cost efficient, affordable way possible, Over explained.The first Westmont neighborhood is located in Tinmouth. Construction will begin this summer, explained Ludy Biddle, executive director of NeighborWorks.We are very excited to start building, Biddle said.NWWVT believes that homeownership is crucial to maintain the fabric of rural Vermont communities. To make homeownership possible for working Vermont families, there have to be affordable homes available. NeighborWorks wants to make affordable housing a reality in Vermont. NWWVT also offers special financing for qualified buyers.For more information please call Ludy Biddle at (802) 438-2303 ext. 221, or visit the NeighborWorks website at www.NWWVT.org(link is external).last_img read more

Why Syracuse can’t make a bowl game even with 5 wins

first_img Published on November 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm Contact: [email protected] | @jtbloss Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (4-7, 2-5 Atlantic Coast) will play Boston College (6-5, 3-4) in the Carrier Dome on Saturday with a chance to earn its fifth win. Five wins, sometimes, can be enough to get a team to a bowl game. For SU, it certainly won’t.Here’s why:There are 128 teams in the FBS and 78 available slots in 39 bowl games. For the first time in four years, it appears enough of those slots will be filled by teams that have met the standard requirement of six wins and a .500 record needed to earn a bowl bid. Seventy teams have met that threshold already, including eight from the ACC.That leaves eight spots still available, with 18 teams boasting five wins heading into the weekend. There are four head-to-head matchups between those 18 teams, meaning at least four more have to emerge with a sixth win, bringing the total to a minimum of 74 bowl-eligible teams. And that’s just the minimum — more can and likely will win to make five-win teams irrelevant.But let’s say the minimum happens and we only have 74 teams automatically eligible. Five-win teams would be considered next — a group SU can join by beating BC on Saturday. These teams would be selected in order of their Academic Progress Rating, or APR, a metric the NCAA defines as such:AdvertisementThis is placeholder textEach student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.Here’s where SU’s hopes sink: of the five-win teams already sitting above SU, 11 have a better APR than SU’s 968. So unless some of them decline bowl invitations — a rare decision that also turns down both a financial and recruiting boost — SU will be watching bowl games from its collective couch for the fourth straight year. Commentslast_img read more

Adopt-A-Pet Dog of the Week: Busco

first_imgFacebook49Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Adopt-A-PetMeet Busco! He is a solid 73-pound, 4-Year-old, people-loving, handsome PitBull Terrier, who is a tail-wagging appreciator of belly rubs. Because he is a very strong dog, children in his forever family should be older (14 and up) and dog-savvy. However, Busco would do best in an all adult home, and be the only pet. Busco requires a securely fenced yard and a commitment from his future forever people to always insure that he is under leash only supervision – no off-leash situations. Busco is doing well living with his foster family’s dogs after having had proper introduction, consistency, and with continued supervision.If you have further questions or would like to schedule an appointment to meet Busco in person, please contact Shelton Adopt-A-Pet. Busco’s foster family will conduct all interviews. Emails are the preferred method of communication at [email protected] has many great dogs and always need volunteers. To see all our current dogs, visit the Adopt-A-Pet website, our Facebook page or at the shelter on Jensen Road in Shelton. For more information, email [email protected] or call 360-432-3091.last_img read more

We respect media freedom: Zuma

first_img27 July 2009The South African government will continue to respect media freedom in the country, and promote the role of the media in the socio-economic development of the continent, says President Jacob Zuma.The African Editors Forum met with Zuma in Pretoria last week to brief South Africa’s new administration on the challenges facing journalists in Africa.Media freedomIssues of media freedom and the role of the media in the socio-economic development of the continent were also discussed, according to International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, who was part of the meeting.Speaking to local journalists after the meeting, Nkoana-Mashabane said: “One thing we all agreed upon is that we are all … eager to project an image of an Africa that is rising politically socially and economically.”Development roleFor the media to play its development role in Africa, Nkoana-Mashabane said, each sector of society had to play its role as well. “Governments need to govern properly, and the media need to report constructively.”By this, she added, “we don’t mean the media must always report what we want to hear.”Nkoana-Mashabane congratulated former City Press Editor Mathatha Tsedu on his appointment as chairperson of the African Editors Forum.Tsedu said the editors had informed Zuma of the continuing harassment of journalists in most African countries, and of threats to media freedom in countries like Zimbabwe, Gambia, Somalia and the Sudan.“Media Freedom is still under threat in countries like Zimbabwe, the Sudan, Gambia, Niger and Eritrea, to name but a few,” Tsedu said.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Canadians drub Gilas in Jones Cup opener

first_imgReyes huddles Gilas at end of 1st quarter. “We’re up by one and yet we had seven turnovers.” Asks Filipinos to take care of the ball better. pic.twitter.com/JYYcBTynFK— INQUIRER Sports (@INQUIRERSports) July 15, 2017 El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes LATEST STORIES Next up for the Philippines is Chinese Taipei’s national team on Sunday and the Filipinos will be playing on borrowed time from now on as they can’t afford to take another loss and expect to win.READ: Gilas fate hangs on future pro stars This 10-team, nine-nation event will be just a single round tournament where the team with the most wins after nine playing days wins the championship.Using the name Mighty Sports last year, the Philippines swept this tournament with an import-laden crew led by former NBA All-Rookie Team member Al Thornton.ADVERTISEMENT National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress Despite committing seven of its 22 turnovers in the first period, the Filipinos were able to take a 20-19 lead into the second, only for the Canadians to finally find their rhythm and assert their character.READ: Ravena on joining PBA Draft: Only thing left to be done is pass application formThat, despite coming into the tournament with the benefit of four hours of practice together.“I really didn’t know what to expect coming over here,” coach Kyle Julius, a member of the Canadian national team from 2005-2007, said. “But they played hard and it resulted in a win.”Joey Haywood fed Michale Kyser for a two-handed alley-oop slam with 6:45 left that capped a 7-0 spurt for the Canadians and made it a 75-60 game, which basically put the game to bed.READ: Reyes sees growth as Gilas survives Alaska in testy encounter“I’m happy with the effort we came up with,” Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes said as his young crew matched up pretty well. He, however, pointed out to the 40 free throws that the Filipinos gave up which spelled the difference.“You can’t give up 40 free throws against a quality team like that and expect to win,” Reyes said.Keifer Ravena, who is set to turn pro in the coming PBA season, paced the Filipinos with 12 points, with Bobby Ray Parks shooting 11 and Carl Bryan Cruz chipping in 10.The scores: Chris Paul looks to get over playoff hump in Houston Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim READ: Despite the attention, Kobe Paras remains cool in first Gilas stintGilas groped for form practically all game, even if it led by a hair after the first period as the Filipinos simply found it too hard penetrating with the Canadians clogging the lanes effectively well.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ TAIPEI – Using its advantage in size and athletic ability to offset its lack in chemistry, Canada 150 on Saturday afternoon put Gilas Pilipinas’ title aspirations in the 39th Jones Cup Invitational in serious jeopardy after a 90-77 drubbing of the Filipinos at Taipei Peace Basketball Hall here.The experienced Canadians, a merry mix of stars assembled recently from teams in the National Basketball League of Canada, held the Filipinos to just 14 second quarter points to scoot away and get their own bid off on the right foot.ADVERTISEMENT FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Canada 90 – Williamson 15, Haywood 12, Kapelan 12, Smith 9, Wood 9, Friesen 8, Sutherland 5, Keith 4, Mordan 2, Bachyski 2Gilas 77 – Ravena 12, Parks 11, Cruz 10, Wright 9, Standhardinger 9, Jalalon 5, Myers 7, Paras 4, Pogoy 4, Ferrer 3, Belo 3, Jose 0Quarterscores: 19-20; 44-34; 66-54, 90-77Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Ravena, Paras weigh in on Gilas’ loss to Canada in Jones Cup4.1K viewsSportsVentuno Web Player 4.51 Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View commentslast_img read more