After coming under scathing attack from all sides for its shoddy preparations, the Commonwealth Games (CWG) organising committee (OC) continues to put up a brave face. Brushing aside the criticism for lack of preparations, CWG OC secretary general Lalit Bhanot on Tuesday offered lame excuses to counter some serious concerns raised by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).Bhanot rejected the hard-hitting letter written by CGF chief Mike Fennel and said that it was not a serious issue. Though he admitted that filth and some small problems were there, it was so because no one was living in the flats at the Games Village, Bhanot insisted.In reply to the concerns raised by CGF CEO Mike Hooper, Bhanot claimed that 70 per cent of the cleaning work was already done and the rest would be completed in the next 36 hours. He said the CWG OC has done a great job and nothing has happened for which anyone should be ashamed of.”All work will be completed at the Village before the athletes start coming from September 23rd. Every complaint on Games Village will be looked into and resolved before arrival of teams. There is nothing to worry,” Bhanot said.Earlier in the day, Hooper had said, “We are disappointed with the condition we find ourselves in. Cleanliness and hygiene are great concerns. The Village is filthy. One can’t occupy the rooms. There is building dust and rubble and the toilets are not working. The Village is supposed to provide the athletes the right environment to prepare for the events. But at the moment we cannot say that’s the case. The promises made have not been kept. Time has run out.”advertisementIn a further embarrassment, New Zealand’s CWG chef de mission Dave Currie even suggested that the Games could be called off. “If the Village is not ready and the athletes can’t come, obviously the implications of that are that it’s not going to happen,” Currie said.Answering to a query on the footbridge collapse near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Tuesday, Bhanot said the incident was unfortunate but it would not affect the Games. As many as 26 labourers working on the site were injured in the incident that took place near the CWG main venue.