1. Kenya 4 3 2 92. Great Britain 3 0 0 33. Jamaica 2 0 1 34. Germany 1 2 1 45. Ethiopia 1 2 0 36. United States 1 1 4 67. Poland 1 1 3 58. Canada 1 1 2 49. Colombia 1 0 0 19. Cuba 1 0 0 19. Eritrea 1 0 0 19. Spain 1 0 0 113. China 0 2 1 314. Netherlands 0 1 1 215. Australia 0 1 0 115. Croatia 0 1 0 115. Israel 0 1 0 115. Russia 0 1 0 115. Tajikistan 0 1 0 120. Bahamas 0 0 1 120. Bosnia-Herz. 0 0 1 120. France 0 0 1 120. Kazakhstan 0 0 1 120. Latvia 0 0 1 120. Uganda 0 0 1 1
There were three beautiful goals on Sunday night in the Red Stripe Premier League match between defending champions Arnett Gardens and the struggling Waterhouse, but Kemal Malcolm’s took the crown and handed the points to Arnett Gardens as they emerged 2-1 winners.The win improved Arnett Gardens’ standing to second on 35 points, one ahead of Montego Bay United, who started the day in the lead but who were not scheduled to play until last night.Waterhouse, on the other hand, remained rooted at the foot of the table but played like a team on the rise.Talented midfielder Vishinul Harris opened the scoring in the 28th minute when he ran on to a wonderful defence-splitting pass, looked young goalkeeper Akeem Chambers in the eyes before displaying composure lacking in many forwards to calmly steer his effort to the left of the perplexed Chambers.Substitute Deandre Brown’s 59th-minute effort was even more beautiful, and he rifled a left-footer from inside the six-yard box to finish off a wonderfully worked free-kick played in by Romario Campbell.Malcolm’s 59th-minute effort, his 19th of the season, put Brown’s in the shade as he ran on to a perfectly measured ball from the pass master, Harris, before using his pace and footwork to leave substitute Dale Reid on his side like an overturned truck. He followed that up by sending Chambers the wrong way before steering home.”As you see, coming off the festive season, it was a rough one. During the festive season, we go out and we party, so the food and alcohol are still in me,” said Malcolm.”I always keep my focus because I know chances will always come with the pace I have, and my teammates always try to give the ball to me, so I always have the frame of mind to put away even one. Tonight, I got one, which is the winner, and I am very grateful for it,” the player, who looks to be enjoying his game, added.The man, who turned 26 last year, said that he was motivated by the magnitude of the match.”I have a thing for the big game. Waterhouse are at the foot of the table, but no matter where they are on the table, a match against them is always a big one, and top players always turn up in the big games, so I always keep the focus, and whenever I play a big game, I always want to come out on top. I always want to score one for my team,” the player who showed his predatory qualities as a schoolboy at St George’s College said.With the competition still in its second round, Malcolm, who also had spells with Meadhaven and Waterhouse, expressed the belief that this would be his best goalscoring season so far.”This is my best season so far. My first season with Arnett, I scored 10 goals, but we are not even in the third round as yet, so I think I can pass the 10-goal mark and make it my best so far. I want to impress because what I really want is a chance with the senior national team,” the former Jamaica Under-20 player said.Standings P W D L GF GA GD PtsPortmore 19 11 4 4 24 15 9 37Arnett 19 11 2 6 29 16 13 35MoBay Utd 18 9 7 2 29 11 18 34H Lion FC 19 7 8 4 15 13 2 29H.View 19 6 8 5 18 18 0 26Boys’ Town 19 7 4 8 21 26 -5 25Reno 19 5 8 6 18 24 -6 23UWI FC 19 6 5 8 18 26 -8 23Cavalier 19 5 6 8 14 18 -4 21Tivoli 18 5 4 9 23 26 -3 19Rivoli 19 4 6 9 19 25 -6 18Whouse 19 3 6 10 18 28 -10 15
As plans evolve for the celebration of the Golden Jubilee of Independence, the Ministry of Education seeks to advise candidates sitting Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) and Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) on May 26, that they will be accommodated at different educational facilities so as to not have any disturbances.Please note the names of the schools that will be accommodated at each examination centre.
…says election as chair a resurrection for party…pledges to nurture youths to take over leadershipBy Jarryl BryanWith the dust of her historic election as Chairperson of the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) settling, Volda Lawrence has an eye to the future. According to the Public Health Minister, a significant task will include nurturing the youths to take over the party.In an exclusive interview with Guyana Times, she spoke about her ambitions for the party and what her election represents for the party. According to Lawrence, who won by 346 votes at the 20th Biennial congress, her election represents a resurrection of the PNCR.“In terms of the base, I think this is PNC alive, where you start at the group level and can work your way up to the chairmanship of the party. I think this is bringing back some nostalgia to them. I can say for the Georgetown environment, people have been meeting me and saying, oh I feel so good, I remember this congress and so. I think that something has come alive in our party. And I want to keep that going.”On the matter of her short and long-term goals, Lawrence explained that this includes improving the accessibility of the electorate to its leaders. The party chair explained that this must therefore include not only herself but the entire leadership.“Also, I want to ensure that our youths are trained and nurtured to take over the party. And to continue to work with our women, to ensure that they have knowledge that they can be what they want to be and to show them how to do it.”“So I’m looking to work with those three categories of people. Leadership, youths, and women to ensure that we do all the things we’re supposed to be doing, on a wider scale,” she stated.HistoryLawrence, a chartered accountant by profession, has a long history with the PNCR. While in Opposition, she served as the Shadow Minister of Human Services and Social Protection.In fact, that was her ministerial designation during the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) initial tenure in Government, before being moved to public health.She clinched victory at the Congress in front of former Chairman, Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams; and fellow contender, Minister of State Joseph Harmon.Harmon got 287 votes while Williams secured 183.The election was a historic one within the PNCR since not only was a female chairperson elected for the first time but the party is also voted for a female Vice Chairperson in Junior Public Infrastructure Minister, Annette Ferguson, who secured 260 votes. On the other hand, Social Cohesion Minister, Dr George Norton was elected the 2nd Vice Chairman with 242 votes.There has been much discussion about potential presidential candidates for the main political parties come 2020 elections.While the People’s Progressive Party has indicated that its presidential candidate will be announced by year end, Lawrence’s election as Chairperson puts her in a strong position within the party should President and PNCR leader David Granger not seek re-election.For his part, President Granger hinted that he would not refuse the offer if called upon to run as the presidential candidate for the upcoming 2020 General and Regional Elections. During a press conference last week, Granger shied away from directly answering whether he would accept a nomination to run as the presidential candidate at the upcoming national polls, which is expected to be a critical election for the country.“I cannot answer that question at this point in time, it is speculative, but I am a servant of my party, I’m a servant of the partnership, I’m a servant of the coalition and my duty is to serve and I will not run away from service; that is as much as I say,” he said.The Head of State went on to outline that he became the presidential candidate for both the APNU and then the APNU/AFC (Alliance For Change) coalition via a democratic process and several steps, which he will have to abide by in the future.
Mullachdubh Band were winners of the Johnny Welch Cup competition in Dungloe for the 13 year in a row at the weekend.And it was an historic win for the band – as it was won on the 100 anniversary of 1916.There was stiff competition with Maghery band on Sunday in the Senior flute band competition. The judge complimented both bands on the high standard of music and drill and called it the World Championship of band competition as both bands pulled out the stops with their musical choices.And in awarding the title to Mullachdubh the judge said they took the risk to come out on top by moving away from the safe options and took a chance in their musical choices of tunes and their excellent performance throughout their routine.They were worthy champions, he said.Pix courtesy of Dónal Ó Searcaigh. MULLACHDUBH BAND LAND JOHNNY WELCH CUP FOR 13TH YEAR IN A ROW! was last modified: March 28th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dungloeJohnny Welch CupMAGHERYMullachdubh Band
Last year’s parade was a hugely-colourful experience in Carn.The Carndonagh Easter Parade will take place on Easter Monday next at 3pm. This fantastic event is back for its 4th year and is going from strength to strength attracting families from far and near to enjoy a free day out for all.Starting from Simpson’s Car Park at 3pm, the parade will proceed to the Diamond, down Bridge Street, onto Church Road and will then return to the Diamond via Station Road and Malin Street, before ending at Simpson’s. There will be a competition for the Best Easter Bonnet, the best entries and floats in terms of fancy dress and endeavour. So get the artistic side going and be creative.There will be live music and entertainment from the viewing platform in the Diamond from 2.30pm and an exhibition made up of the entries received from the ongoing photographic & children’s colouring competition. Entries can be received from local shops and returned to the Carn Post Office.It is hoped that the many clubs and organisations in the town will join the parade on the day and make it a celebration of the extent of community involvement in Carn. All businesses are asked to join in the spirit of the day, enter floats and promote the town. Entries however are not confined to the town so, if you fancy a good day’s fun, come along and enter.The organisers, Carndonagh Easter Monday Parade Committee, have been very much encouraged by the support, financial and otherwise, that they have received from the local business community. Joe Dohery Chairman said ‘ We would like to thank the local businesses and community for their support in helping to make this another successful event for the town. It is sure to be a great day for all and we encourage you to come out and enjoy this fantastic day’.Please note, traffic diversions will be in place on the day and due to this Mc Ginley’s Dublin bus will pick up at Supervalue & Donagh Cross.The organisers are asking for more volunteers to assist with stewarding and would ask anyone interested to please contact John Cunningham (087) 277 2954For further information or to register a float contact Jennifer O Donnell (086) 3796311 A FESTIVAL OF COLOUR IS PROMISED FOR CARNDONAGH’S EASTER PARADE was last modified: April 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Carndonagh Easter Parade
THE Government has still failed to acknowledge the role of school secretaries across Donegal who still aren’t recognised as Department of Education employees, representatives say.Most secretaries are paid – often the minimum wage – out of school capitation grants. That also means they don’t get pensions, sick leave….or summer pay.The Department has promised a review on the insistence of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar but it still hasn’t been sorted out, say the secretaries. Letterkenny-based secretary Kathleen O’Doherty said: “If only the Department of Education would make an effort to appreciate the school secretary by putting right a fundamental wrong and end the two-tier system where some secretaries are employed as public service staff under the 1978 scheme while others depend on capitation funding.“This funding takes into account the general running of the school, and the wages of a secretary are only taken into account when other essentials are paid. Many of these dedicated staff have given more than 20 years of service, yet have no pension or sick leave, promotional opportunities and have to sign on during school closures.“The local school is at the heart of each community and the school secretary at the heart of each school, their role being a demanding one. The secretary is relied upon by principal, teachers, special needs assistants, pupils and parents.“The first person of contact, the secretary, goes well beyond the call of duty to facilitate visitors, including parents, salespeople, HSE staff, dental/vision school visits, special education needs organisers, psychologists, community groups, parent committees, newly qualified teachers seeking substitute work, and students from various institutes looking for a placement, to mention a few.” Kathleen added: “As skilled administrators, we are regularly called upon to take on a wide range of duties, juggling reception and telephonist duties, and carrying out the daily tasks demanded by the Department of Education. Work undertaken by independent employment expert Sean McHugh demonstrated that the role of school secretary goes well beyond what would be expected of a clerical officer operating as a team member in the Civil Service, health or local government sectors.“He found no distinction whatsoever between what is expected of Department of Education-paid and grant-funded secretaries.” Donegal’s school secretaries begin holidays – and are forced to sign on dole was last modified: June 30th, 2018 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalKathleen O’Dohertyschool secretaries
ST. LOUIS — In stints together in Triple-A, pitcher Daniel Mengden and catcher Beau Taylor sat next to each other in the dugout and mentally played the games at hand.“Me and him worked a lot, each day trying to get better,” Taylor said. “When I wasn’t playing and he wasn’t pitching, we’d just sit there and do sequences, trying to call the game for the other pitcher.”Wednesday, they got to do that for real, and on the big stage, too. Batterymates Mengden and Taylor combined to help lead the …
SACRAMENTO (AP) — Drag queen and TV star RuPaul, late poet Maya Angelou and skateboarding legend Tony Hawk were among 10 people inducted Tuesday night into the California Hall of Fame.The others were Brandi Chastain, two-time Women’s World Cup soccer champion and Olympic gold medalist; astrophysicist and National Science Foundation Director France A. Cordova; writer Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston; actor and comedian George Lopez; restaurateur and chef Wolfgang Puck; winemaker Helen M. Turley and the …
Malaysia Airlines predicts it will be flying directly to 20 Chinese cities within five years after a rapid expansion which will add 11 new routes into China next year.The expansion will see the Malaysian carrier add 35 frequencies between the two countries as it services eight new destinations.Malaysia Airlines’ chief exdecutive Peter Bellew said the carrier planned to triple its Chinese business over the next five years.“I see potential for direct flights to 20 Chinese cities from Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching by 2019,’’ he said. “We have huge confidence in China.’’Malaysia will be flying from Kuala Lumpur to Haikou, Nanjing, Fuzhou, Wuhan, Chengdu and Chongqing. Plans are also underway to fly from Kota Kinabalu to Tianjin as well as from Penang to Shenzhen and Shanghai.The new routes are expected to be complemented by a second daily flight in April between Kuala Lumpur and Shanghai, subject to slot availability, and an upgrade to its morning Kuala Lumpur-Hong Kong sector from a Boeing 737 to the Airbus 330.Mr Bellew said the improved connectivity would foster deeper business links between the two nations.“In addition to this initial growth, we will promote tourism in Malaysia and China through seasonal or ad-hoc services to key leisure markets such as Langkawi, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu,” he said. “Six of our new Chinese cities have never been served directly by a Malaysian airline.’’The news was not so good for Singapore Airlines which has been forced to delay its Singapore-Jakarta-Sydney service due to maintenance at Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport.SIA had announced the launch of the three-times-weekly service on November 23 and had been issued the appropriate approval and been issued with landing and take-off slots.“However, SIA has been informed by the Indonesian civil aviation authorities that they are now unable to approve the flights due to runway maintenance works at Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, which also affect other airlines,’’ the Singaporean carrier said this week.“SIA will progressively contact customers with bookings on this route and help put them on other flights. The Airline apologises for the inconvenience caused to our customers.’’