OTTAWA — A new Conference Board of Canada report has downgraded its projections for economic growth in 2016 from 1.6 per cent to 1.4 per cent, despite a strong start to the year.The think tank says Canada’s economic growth advanced at a solid annual pace of 2.4 per cent in the first quarter, driven by robust household spending, a surge in exports and a double-digit increase in residential construction.But that momentum has largely dissipated after gross domestic product contracted in February and March, followed by wildfires in the Fort McMurray, Alta., region in May and June that shut down many oilsands operations.Canada the G7 dark horse as IMF projects improved growth in 2017‘Most challenging period’: Alberta is in the midst of its worst recession on recordThe board estimates that the temporary shutdowns will have reduced oil production by 57 million barrels this year, costing oil and gas firms $3.5 billion in lost revenues.Its report says the largest source of weakness in the economy remains the steep deterioration in business investment due to the collapse in energy spending, and there’s still no sign of a long-awaited recovery in non-energy investment.The board says weaker global economic growth prospects — factors that hurt Canada’s trade sector — are also dampening the country’s outlook.Its forecast is in line with a report issued earlier this week by the International Monetary Fund, which also cut its prediction for economic growth this year to 1.4 per cent.
Organizers of the White Privilege Symposium at Brock University over the weekend had a simple goal: to bring the issues of racism and privilege to the forefront.“We did accomplish what we set out to do because we had multiple lenses through which to gain insight to how exclusion is tied to power, white privilege, colonialism and racism,” said co-organizer Dolana Mogadime. “WPSC arrived at a crucial time for Brock as well and many universities across our nation, as we are having to account for how we are responding to racial issues on campus.”More than 400 people from across the province attended the conference, including nearly 100 Brock students.“It was a true success. We’ve received lots of positive feedback from participants about their WPSC experience, both in terms of the quality of the keynote speakers and interactive workshops; and in the way that Brock University took a leading role in bringing people together to have these important conversations,” said co-organizer Brad Clarke, Director, Student Life and Community Experience.He said, in addition to encouraging dialogue about challenging topics, the symposium was meant to increase the profile and reach of Brock’s Racial Climate Task Force and “to highlight the efforts underway to better understand the dynamics of race and racism within the Brock context. And to initiate activity that will improve the racial climate at Brock.“The Symposium was a key step towards each of these goals,” he said.Among the keynote addresses was that of Brock Chancellor Shirley Cheechoo, who gave a moving first-person account of the residential school experiences for Indigenous children in Canada.“Her personal story is important for every Canadian to hear,” Mogadime said. “We will work better together on the goal of understanding and advocating for Indigenous rights in relation to social justice after hearing Chancellor Cheechoo’s insights.”The conference organizers are hoping to continue the conversations that were started at the event through a call for papers related to the WPSC conference.
Passengers on an easyJet flight from Gatwick to Venice endured a terrifying trip in which a traveller repeatedly shouted “Allahu Akbar” and “today we will die”.The Mail on Sunday reported the man shouting the threats was a migrant who, accompanied by Home Office officials, was being deported.An 11-minute audio recording captured the man’s tirade. He screamed “Allahu Akbar” 29 times, “death is coming” 17 times, and “we will die” nine times. Earlier this year it emerged that the Government wasted £1.9 million on “phantom deportations” buying plane tickets for failed asylum seekers who never showed up.A spokesman for easyJet said: “We acknowledge that on this occasion the situation on board could have been distressing for other passengers and apologise for that.”The Home Office declined to comment on individual cases. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Witnesses said officials accompanying the man tried to subdue him as best they could.Lucy O’Sullivan, 33, from Detling, Kent who was travelling with her husband, Terence, said she felt threatened.“The worst-case scenario was that we weren’t going to get off that plane alive because we didn’t know who the person was, what the circumstances were or anything. There was nothing explained to us. It was very daunting.“When we got on board, the seats were moving so he was obviously kicking or thrashing out. I thought someone was having a fit.“But when we got up close we could see people were restraining him.”