Dashboard Confessional Return With Anthemic New Single We Fight

first_img Dashboard Confessional Return: First LP In 8 years dashboard-confessional-return-anthemic-new-single-we-fight News Facebook The heartfelt emo stylings that helped Chris Carrabba & Co. build the indie scene of the early aughts mature toward more anthemic songwriting on new singleBrian HaackGRAMMYs Nov 15, 2017 – 1:16 pm Open your heart up and pull your feelings back down off that dark corner shelf, Dashboard Confessional are back in business. Today, the soul-baring emo rockers dropped a brand-new single and announced their first studio LP since 2009.”We Fight,” the lead single from Dashboard’s forthcoming Crooked Shadows, sees a turn toward a more anthemic, universal brand of songwriting than we’ve previously seen from frontman/chief songwriter Chris Carrabba.”Every album is personal, but as this album was coming together I realized, especially as the world’s political climate was rapidly changing, that ‘personal’ did not necessarily mean ‘mine,'” said Carrabba via a press release.  “Suddenly, ‘Me’ became ‘We’ and that realization was empowering, comforting and terrifying all at once.” Email center_img Twitter Dashboard Confessional Return With Anthemic New Single, “We Fight” On the topic of the band’s new single, Carrabba revealed that the song’s meaning has evolved in his own mind since first penning the track.”I thought it was just about the music scene that I came up in — a place where people who’d never quite fit in anywhere felt they actually belonged,” he revealed.  “When we began playing the song live on our summer tour, I realized … it’s a song for people who, in spite of their differences, can find common ground in their convictions and foster those into something bigger than themselves. That, to me, is something worth fighting for.”Dashboard Confessional’s Crooked Shadows is due out on Feb. 9, 2018. The band will embark on a radio tour of the U.S. starting Nov. 16. The tour will kick off with a free “No Dough” show in Chicago, and will run through early 2018, wrapping in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., on Jan. 28. Tickets are available now.See Björk’s New Ethereal Music Video For “Blissing Me”Read morelast_img read more

Facebook prepares to push Oculus VR headsets for businesses

first_img Tags Best Buy $198 Oculus Go How To • Prime Day 2019 best gaming deals: Oculus Go 32GB for $159, Nintendo Switch for $329 and more available now The next big step for Oculus may be into our office buildings. Sarah Tew/CNET When Facebook pitches its Oculus virtual reality headsets to the masses, it talks of their ability to make you feel as though you’re inside a game, visiting another planet or scuba diving next to massive blue whales, without ever leaving your couch.Its next act might be to take that other-worldliness to your work.Via a job posting, Oculus VR is looking for a software expert to work in its Seattle, Washington offices to help build special versions of its $199 Oculus Go and $399 Oculus Quest mobile VR headsets for businesses. This person would help make the headsets work with various types of business software, the job posting said. An Oculus spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.The Oculus Go is an entry-level headset that works without the need for a computer or mobile phone to power it. The Quest is a mid-level device that’s also self contained, offering higher quality visuals and controls. Both headsets put screens so close to your eyes they trick your brain into thinking you’re in the computer-generated world.The job posting, first noticed by Variety and which as of time of writing is no longer accepting applicants, is the latest sign of Facebook’s willingness to invest in efforts to broaden the appeal of its headsets. Microsoft has taken a similar tack with its $3,500 HoloLens augmented reality headset, which overlays computer images on the real world. In Microsoft’s case, the company explicitly says it does not want to sell the device to you and me — yet.For Oculus, finding success with the business world could help bolster sales as developers continue searching for a “killer app” that will convince consumers to buy in. But it will still have competition.HTC, for example, announced its Vive Focus VR headset for businesses last November, and Microsoft has been helping partners such as Lenovo, Dell and H-P build VR headsets for businesses as well. See It CNET may get a commission from retail offers. News • Flash sale: The Oculus Go VR headset is back down to $159 (Update: Expired) Oculus Dell Facebook HTC Lenovo Microsoft See it $199 Review • Oculus Go review: $199 VR, no strings attached $199 See It Walmart 0 Post a comment Share your voice Wearable Tech Tech Industry Virtual Reality Apps Mentioned Above Oculus Go (32GB)last_img read more

Market watch Sensex plunges by 541 points gold extends losses on weak

first_imgThe S&P BSE Sensex plunged by 541 points on Tuesday following weakness in the European markets triggered by a sell-off in commodity stocks on concerns over slowing demand in China.The Sensex closed at 25,651 points while the 50-share Nifty fell 165 points, or 2.07%, to end at 7,812 points.”The sudden sell-off in the market in today’s trade has taken it to 7800 levels. The state of the market remains vulnerable as global factors have cropped up every now and then and spooked sentiments. However, investors should use these opportunities to buy into companies with good growth prospects like media, logistics, select pharma and IT companies and select PSU banks,” K.Subramanyam, Co-Head Equity Advisory, Altamount Capital, told Business Standard.Initially, the markets traded in the green on rising hopes of a rate cut by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as early as this month. But they gave up all the gains taking a cue from the sell-off in European markets.Metals stocks saw heavy selling pressure, with Hindalco and Vedanta losing over over 6% at close. Banking, realty and auto stocks were also battered down ahead of the RBI’s bi-monthly meeting on 29 September.Axis Bank, SBI, ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank fell between 2% and 3%, while Tata Motors, Bajaj Auto and Hero Moto also posted losses ranging from 1 to 3%.The share price of Amtek Auto plunged by more than 11% after the company missed the deadline to pay Rs 800 crore on bonds.The volatility index India VIX soared nearly 12% to 20.34 points, indicating the possibility of high volatile sessions in the coming days.The sell-off in metal shares was mainly due to the slump in European markets, which fell in the range of 1 to 2%.”The fall in the market was largely after the European markets opened. The ECB pledged to sustain or like to maintain the inflation target of 2 per cent, which also weighed on sentiments. It simply means that the reaction has come into the euro government bonds and as a result of which the selloff has taken place in equity,” Deven Choksey, MD, KR Choksey Investment Managers Private, told The Economic Times.Besides, the sell-off was partly led by the strengthening dollar that touched a two-week high after the US Federal Reserve signaled a rate hike this year last week.Meanwhile, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) lowered its growth projection for India to 7.4% for the current fiscal year from the previous estimate of 7.8%. The bank cited poor monsoon rainfall, a further slowdown in exports, and the government’s failure to pass key reforms bills as the reasons for the downgrade.Gold prices also ended lower on weak global cues, falling by Rs 150 to Rs Rs 26,510 per 10 grams. Silver prices declined by Rs 170 to Rs 35,830 per kg.last_img read more

Street agitation if no understanding over polls BNP

first_img.BNP senior leader Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain on Tuesday warned that their party will wage a street agitation if the government fails to reach an understanding over holding the 11th parliamentary polls under a neutral government, reports UNB.”People won’t accept if the government again tries to hold a 5-January 2014 election ignoring our demand for having a non-party election-time neutral administration. People will take to the streets to realise their demand,” he said.Mosharraf, a standing committee member Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), came up with the remarks while speaking at a discussion arranged by Jatiyatabadi Jubo Dal at the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, marking the 53rd birthday of BNP senior vice chairman Tarique Rahman.Mentioning that prime minister Sheikh Hasina in 1996 had said that no fair election can be held under a partisan government, he alleged that she is now denying it in her own interest. “People are now worried about the next election process.”The BNP leader said their chairperson Khaleda Zia will unveil the framework of the election-time supportive government at a suitable time. “We would like to call upon the government to take steps to hold the next polls in a credible manner with the participation of all parties accepting our framework.”He said the government wants to hang onto power through a stage-managed election after convicting BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and the party’s senior leaders as it has got sacred of facing a debacle in fair polls.”I would like to say it clearly that people won’t allow the government to hold the next polls under Sheikh Hasina,” the BNP leader added.He also urged the government to create a level-playing field from now on to ensure a proper election atmosphere and the participation of all parties in the general election.Speaking at the programme, BNP vice chairman Barkatullah Bulu said the government can publish a list of their party leaders whom they want not to take part in the next polls. “Then we’ll put our second or third category of leaders as candidates to contest the election against you. Even after that, you won’t get more than 50 seats.”He also said people will not allow anybody to hold any election in the country keeping Khaleda out of the race.last_img read more

US to resume refugee admissions from Muslim nations NKorea

first_imgUS Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen testifies to the Senate Judiciary Committee in Washington. Photo: AFPThe United States will resume admissions for refugees from 11 countries identified as presenting a high security risk, but with extra vetting for these mostly Middle Eastern and African nations, senior US officials said on Monday.The changes came after a 90-day review of refugee admissions from Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mali, North Korea, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen by the State Department, Department of Homeland Security and intelligence agencies.The new rules are the latest changes to the US refugee program made by the administration of president Donald Trump to address what it sees as national security issues.Some of the administration’s actions, including an executive order to temporarily ban all refugees, have sparked lengthy court battles. Refugee advocates have said they see the administration’s actions as intended to reduce the number of refugees, particularly those from Muslim countries.During the review period, which lasted from late October to last week, admissions of refugees from those countries dropped sharply, according to a Reuters analysis of State Department data.The changes announced on Monday include additional screening for certain people from the 11 countries, and a periodic review of a list of countries identified as presenting higher security risks.The new guidelines were announced at a press briefing by senior administration officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity. They offered no details about which people from the 11 countries will be subject to the extra screening, citing security concerns.The list of “high-risk” countries was last updated by the Obama administration in 2015, the senior administration officials said.US Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen would like officials to factor in risks to the United States other than terrorism, such as transnational organized crime, a senior administration official said.During the briefing, officials said refugees will not be barred from admission to the United States solely on the basis of nationality.“The big picture is that there is no longer a refugee pause on countries, including the 11 high-risk countries, with these measures taking effect,” one senior administration official said in a briefing with reporters. “We’ll be resuming admissions with the new security measures in place.”In an address at the Wilson Center on Monday morning, Nielsen spoke about the new security measures, saying they “seek to prevent the program from being exploited by terrorists, criminals and fraudsters.”“These changes will not only improve security but importantly they will help us better assess legitimate refugees fleeing persecution,” she said.Refugee advocates said they worry the new security measures will block refugees from the 11 countries from admission to the United States.“Adding yet more hurdles to an already overly bureaucratic process will burden those seeking safety for themselves and their families,” Amnesty International USA said in a statement.Since becoming US president, Trump has imposed numerous limits on the refugee program, including capping the number of refugees allowed into the country in the 2018 fiscal year at less than half the number set by former President Barack Obama for 2017. He also issued an executive order pausing the refugee program pending a thorough review, instituted stricter vetting requirements and quit negotiations on a voluntary pact to deal with global migration.For each of the last three years, refugees from the 11 countries made up more than 40 per cent of US admissions. But a Reuters review of State Department data shows that as the 90-day review went into effect, refugee admissions from the 11 countries plummeted.Since 25 October, the day the 90-day review went into effect, 46 refugees from the 11 countries have been allowed into the United States, according to State Department data.last_img read more

ExOC suspended over Feni madrasa student rape murder case

first_imgFormer OC of Feni’s Sonagazi police station Moazzem Hossain. File PhotoFormer officer-in-charge of Feni’s Songazai police station Moazzem Hossain has been suspended for not “carrying out his duties properly” after the alleged rape and murder of Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi.The decision was taken as per the recommendations made by the investigation committee of the police headquarters, sources told Prothom Alo on Friday morning.The investigation committee also recommended suspending Songazi police station sub-inspector Iqbal Hossain and taking departmental action against both of them for their role in the murder of Sonagazi Senior Fazil Madrasa student Nusrat, who was set on fire.Five burkha clad people took part in setting Nusrat on fire for filing a case against the principal of the madrasa Siraj Ud Doula, who allegedly sexually harassed Nusrat.The investigation report was recently submitted to the Inspector General of Police Javed Patwary.The committee also found that Feni superintendent of police Jahangir Alam Sarkar and additional deputy commissioner PK Enamul Kabir did not carry out their duties properly after learning about the incident.The report said the then OC of Sonagazi police station Moazzem Hossain and SI Iqbal Hossain tried to make it look like a suicide.SP Jahangir Alam did not visit the crime scene though he came to know about the incident around 10:00am. Rather he left for Chattogram Hill Tracts. He returned after being instructed by the deputy inspector general of police of Chattogram range, it added.The committee has recommended taking departmental action against the SP, police HQ sources said.The committee’s observation about the additional deputy commissioner PK Enamul Kabir will be informed to the ministry concerned.On 6 April, Nusrat Jahan Rafi was set afire at a centre of Alim examination allegedly by students loyal to principal Siraj Ud Doula of Sonagazi Senior Fazil Madrasa after he was arrested and subsequently suspended as she had accused him of sexually harassing her.Critically injured Nusrat was immediately taken to the DMCH for better treatment where she underwent a surgery under life support on 9 April.Nusrat, however, succumbed to her injuries around 9:30pm on 10 April.There were allegations that police tried to make the incident look like a suicide attempt. OC Moazzem was withdrawn due to her family’s no-confidence in him.On 13 April, the police headquarters formed a committee to find out the role of its officials in the incident. The committee finalised the report on 30 April.last_img read more

State Rep Carol Alvarado Wins Special Election for Senate District 6

first_img Share Democratic State Representative Carol Alvarado won the special election for Texas Senate District 6. Alvarado polled just over 50 percent of the vote in the four-way contest, avoiding a runoff that would have stretched well into the new legislative session. State Representative Ana Hernandez managed a distant second place with less than a quarter of the votes cast. Alvarado will now succeed Sylvia Garcia — the woman who beat her five years ago, when she ran in the last special election for S-D 6. Garcia resigned from the Texas Senate last month, after winning election to Congress.The outcome means that, come January, there will be an empty seat in the lower chamber of the Legislature. Governor Greg Abbott will have to call for another special election — this one for Alvarado’s House District 145. last_img read more

Why we avoid taking stairs

first_imgClose proximity of a staircase to an escalator that seems so much faster and more convenient, discourages people from making the healthy decision of taking the stairs, says a study.To make sure that people take the stairs while shopping in a mall or in the metro station, you just have to make sure that the stairs are far, far away from the escalator, said the study published in the journal Environment and Behaviour.The study by researchers from Concordia University in Canada and Peking University in China looked at how location, height and traffic volume dictate pedestrian choices. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’“Environmental factors have been explicitly identified as having an impact on stair-climbing, including the visibility of the stairway and its width,” said study senior author John Zacharias from the University of Peking.“This study shows that staircase location is just as important, and should be factored in when planning new buildings.” The researchers monitored 13 stairways and 12 pairs of escalators in seven connected shopping centres in Montreal, Canada. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixA total of 33,793 pedestrians were counted ascending or descending over 35 days.When the researchers examined the data, they found that increasing the distance between a stairway and an escalator by 100 per cent, accounted for 71 per cent of variance when shoppers were going up, and 21 per cent of variance when they were going down. Overall, that is a 95 per cent increase in stair use, the study said.last_img read more